Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 Subnet Model: the Relationship between Links and Subnet Prefixes
	Author(s)       : H. Singh, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-11-14

IPv6 specifies a model of a subnet that is different than the IPv4
subnet model.  The subtlety of the differences has resulted in
incorrect implementations that do not interoperate.  This document
spells out the most important difference; that an IPv6 address isn't
automatically associated with an IPv6 on-link prefix.  This document
also updates (partially due to security concerns caused by incorrect
implementations) a part of the definition of on-link from [RFC4861].

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on May 18, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.
This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:25:26 -0600

6man folks,

If anyone hasn't compared the diffs between this -06 and -05 version
(this was in the LastCall that expired today), I'd like to point out
that the technical content of the doc hasn't changed. Just the top
header has an extra line of "Updates: 4861 (if approved)".  This was as
per Brian Carpenter's review comment on the -05 version.  The old header
(from -05) is shown below followed by the new one in the -06 version.
Further the text in the Status of this Memo section has changed between
the -05 and this -06 version - this change is not intentional.  This is
what the latest xml2rfc at http://xml.resource.org produced for the -06
version.

Network Working Group                                           H. Singh
Internet-Draft                                                 W. Beebee
Intended status: Standards Track                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
Expires: November 16, 2009                                   E. Nordmark
                                                        Sun Microsystems
                                                            May 15, 2009

Network Working Group                                           H. Singh
Internet-Draft                                                 W. Beebee
Updates: 4861 (if approved)                          Cisco Systems, Inc.
Intended status: Standards Track                             E. Nordmark
Expires: May 18, 2010                                   Sun Microsystems
                                                       November 14, 2009

Thanks,

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the
IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 Subnet Model: the Relationship between
Links and Subnet Prefixes
	Author(s)       : H. Singh, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-11-14

IPv6 specifies a model of a subnet that is different than the IPv4
subnet model.  The subtlety of the differences has resulted in incorrect
implementations that do not interoperate.  This document spells out the
most important difference; that an IPv6 address isn't automatically
associated with an IPv6 on-link prefix.  This document also updates
(partially due to security concerns caused by incorrect
implementations) a part of the definition of on-link from [RFC4861].

Status of this Memo

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups
may also distribute working documents as Internet- Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference material
or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the document
authors.  All rights reserved.
This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal Provisions
Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents carefully,
as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect to this
document.  Code Components extracted from this document must include
Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of the Trust
Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as described in the
BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November 10,
2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this material
may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of
such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling the
copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified outside
the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may not be
created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it for
publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other than
English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-06
.txt