Subject: speaking of ND Proxy and NBMA etc.

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:14:37 -0600

Please see a short note we wrote.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-wbeebee-6man-nd-proxy-std-00.txt

Hemant

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:34:40 +0100

I'm supporting this work and the goal, with the 3GPP (modem) use-case particularly in my mind.

Thanks for working on this,

Teemu
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Hemant Singh (shemant) [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: speaking of ND Proxy and NBMA etc.

Hemant

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:50:52 +0200 (EET)

> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-wbeebee-6man-nd-proxy-std-00.txt

Do we already have implementations?  What are the implementation 
experiences?  Were all the features of the spec useful, or should 
something be changed (added, removed, clarified)?

This is not procedurally required for PS, but if there are a lot of 
implementations already, this would be a strong argument for going to 
PS.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:12:40 -0600

Yes. Cable access concentrators (also called a CMTS (Cable Modem
Termination System)) for ipv4 support an ARP Proxy.  So it was natural
when the CMTS moved to also supporting IPv6, having the CMTS support ND
Proxy was a natural transition.  Two different CMTS vendors (one is
Cisco) support ND Proxy as of 2007.  Cable deployment is a NBMA network
where client behind our cable modem cannot communicate directly to each
other.  So the CMTS ND Proxy catches DAD duplicates and sends an NA and
the CMTS also responds to address resolution NS's with an NA.  That is
the extent of the ND Proxy on cable access concentrators.  Cable data
standards in Docsis 3.0 have also recommended ND Proxy.  Note also that
6lowpan has also recommended ND Proxy in their draft -
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-07.txt.  The v6ops IPv6 CE
Home Router has recommended ND Proxy for the router.  A v6ops document
cannot reference an Experimental RFC - this was the first motive behind
moving the ND Proxy RFC to be a Standards Track document.

I personally think RFC 4389 is well shaken out for a doc - as we say in
our new short note, the only reason they didn't make the ND Proxy doc a
Standards Track doc because ND Proxy did not support SEND extensions.
The SEND extensions was work TBD with another IETF WG but that group is,
I think, 4 years and counting for not taking this work.  But there are
networks that need ND Proxy without use of SEND.

Hemant

---

From: "Laganier, Julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:30:34 -0800

Hemant,

The CSI WG has been chartered in 2008 to develop an ND proxy support for SEND and has a corresponding work item:

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-csi-proxy-send-01>

--julien

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Hemant Singh (shemant)
> Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:13 AM
> To: Pekka Savola
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: speaking of ND Proxy and NBMA etc.
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:53:01 -0600

Julien,

Thanks - we will update our draft to change the info that now the CSI
group is working on SEND extensions for ND Proxy and it's Work in
Progress.  However, one original intent of our draft is still valid that
some deployments want to use ND Proxy but will not use SEND.

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: Laganier, Julien [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:31 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant); Pekka Savola
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: speaking of ND Proxy and NBMA etc.

Hemant,

The CSI WG has been chartered in 2008 to develop an ND proxy support for
SEND and has a corresponding work item:

--julien

---

From: "Laganier, Julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:55:56 -0800

Hemant, 

Right - I understand that some deployments do not require SEND security. 

As a side note, draft-ietf-csi-proxy-send-01 has just entered WGLC in the CSI WG, reviews by interested parties would be appreciated!

Thank you.

--julien
 
> From: Hemant Singh (shemant) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:53 AM
> To: Laganier, Julien; Pekka Savola
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; csi-
> [email-masked]

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:44:12 -0600

Ah, OK. If I get time, I will review the document in next week or two.

Thanks,

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: Laganier, Julien [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:56 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant); Pekka Savola
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];

Hemant, 

As a side note, draft-ietf-csi-proxy-send-01 has just entered WGLC in
the CSI WG, reviews by interested parties would be appreciated!

Thank you.

--julien
 
> > our new short note, the only reason they didn't make the ND Proxy
doc
> a

---

From: "Laganier, Julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:57:52 -0800

Hello Teemu,

A question for clarification about the 3GPP use-case you have in mind. Are you thinking about a 3GPP User Equipment being allocated a /64 prefix on the 3GPP link and acting as an ND proxy between the 3GPP link and downstream links to which other nodes could attach (e.g. a laptop) ?

Thanks,

--julien

> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:35 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext
> Hemant Singh (shemant) [[email-masked]]