Subject: Re: Moving on to a standard? (was Re: Using "Cookies"?)

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:47:35 EDT

> Another possibility might be to standardize SASL/GSS/Kerberos in SSL and
> be done.

Kerberos in SSL/TLS is already an RFC (2712).  Netscape chose not to
implement it.  Didn't we have this discussion yesterday?

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 7.1 Alpha available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and 
 [email-masked]          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:51:11 -0400

Yes, but it's been a deluge of mails -- sorry for the bandwidth wasting.

Never mind then.

Perhaps Netscape can be convinced to provide hooks for an extranal SSL
library, thus opening the way for OpenSSL to be used to get kerberized
web support...

Nico

--

---

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:59:39 -0400

>library, thus opening the way for OpenSSL to be used to get kerberized

You don't even need an externalized SSL library; you just need a plug-in
that implements a particular SSL cipher suite (which would be easier to
implement, IMHO).

--Ken