Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] New AES-CBC Mode with HMAC-SHA2 draft

From: "Burgin, Kelley W." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:19:25 -0400

We have submitted an updated version of the draft "AES-CBC Mode with
HMAC-SHA2 For Kerberos 5" at:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-burgin-kerberos-aes-cbc-hmac-sha2
/

We have addressed all the comments on the previous version except for
the ones relating to the padding, which we've left at RFC5652-style,
where the input is padded to a multiple of the block length (128 bits).
There has been a lot of speculation that some APIs only allow 8 bytes of
padding, but with nothing confirmed, we've left it alone.

We would eventually like the draft to be considered for working group
adoption as Standards Track. We would appreciate feedback on the draft.

Kelley Burgin

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:28:40 -0500

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Burgin, Kelley W.
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> We have submitted an updated version of the draft “AES-CBC Mode with
> HMAC-SHA2 For Kerberos 5” at:
>
>
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-burgin-kerberos-aes-cbc-hmac-sha2/
>
>
>
> We have addressed all the comments on the previous version except for the
> ones relating to the padding, which we’ve left at RFC5652-style, where the
> input is padded to a multiple of the block length (128 bits). There has been
> a lot of speculation that some APIs only allow 8 bytes of padding, but with
> nothing confirmed, we’ve left it alone.

I oppose any cipher modes that are not like CTS in the following two
ways: a) not cipher text expanding (except, of course, for the
confounder), b) safe to use in a non-stream of messages context
(unlike the counter modes).

I would prefer, moreover, that the selected cipher mode be CTS.

Nico
--

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:37:35 -0400

I just sent a message indicating that  there didn't seem to be action
for the chairs yet.
However, I realize that's not quite true.
Do you want to discuss this draft and the need for it in Quebec?

If so, would you be willing to prepare a brief presentation definitely
under under 10 minutes but preferably closer to five? The focus should
be on why the existing RFC 3962 ciphers don't meet your needs and on how
you have responded to discussion to date. That could be a good starting
point for discussion in the session.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: "Burgin, Kelley W." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:19:05 -0400

Sam,

Thanks for the invitation. I am unable to attend the meetings, but my
co-author Mike Peck might be able to. We would very much appreciate the
opportunity to give a short presentation - are there other ways to
present/discuss remotely if he cannot make it? 

Thanks,
Kelley

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:39:17 -0400

I think it would be best if you found someone who was attending the
meetings who could give the presentations.  We've arranged remote
presentations for long-time participants sometimes, but that's been kind
of chancy and when it has worked a lot of why that works is because they
have a good understanding the group dynamics and interct with
participants in other forums.

However, if you can find someone the give the actual presentation,there
are options for participating. Our session will be streamed via a live
MP3 and we will have a Jabber group chat for remote questions.  However,
having someone there who can participate in hallway discussions or sit
down with people after a presentation that is interesting is an
important part of moving ideas forward in the IETF.

It's not impossible to move documents forward without that, but it does
make things more difficult.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg