Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Chair comments on draft-ietf-krb-wg-otp-preauth-17

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:27:33 -0400

I was doing the necessary due diligance before sending the OTP draft off
to the IESG.
Unfortunately I found an issue:

There are a couple of error codes listed as TBD in the draft.  Please
coordinate with Tom to get these assigned.

I'll note that if we were standarzing this document today it's unlikely
we would allocate so many errors to it.  We're running out.  I think
it's acceptable to go forward without condincing errors especially given
there may be implementations.

Please make sure the IANA section makes it clear that error codes and
key usages are not managed by IANA. Please add an informative reference
to draft-lha-krb-wg-some-numbers-to-iana as work in progress to
eventually move these registries to IANA. That will resolve an IESG
comment that is certain to happen.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 01:05:16 -0400

> there may be implementations.

How can there be implementations relying on the error codes if they
haven't been assigned?

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:12:19 -0400

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Hudson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Greg> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 20:27 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> I'll note that if we were standarzing this document today it's
    >> unlikely we would allocate so many errors to it.  We're running
    >> out.  I think it's acceptable to go forward without condincing
    >> errors especially given there may be implementations.

    Greg> How can there be implementations relying on the error codes if
    Greg> they haven't been assigned?

Sorry, only error codes related to pin change are TBD.
I'm guessing that has not been implemented yet:-)
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:50:40 -0400

> key usages are not managed by IANA. 

The IANA considerations section currently states the following:

   The following error codes and key usage values are defined in this
   document:

             KDC_ERR_INVALID_HASH_ALG           94
             KDC_ERR_INVALID_ITERATION_COUNT    95
             KDC_ERR_PIN_EXPIRED                <TBD>
             KDC_ERR_PIN_REQUIRED               <TBD>
             KEY_USAGE_OTP_REQUEST              45

   These values are not managed by IANA and have been accounted for.

> Please add an informative reference

How about changing the last sentence to be something like:  

These values are currently not managed by IANA and have been accounted for.  There is currently work in progress [draft-lha-krb-wg-some-numbers-to-iana] to define IANA registries for these  registration process for these values.  

--Gareth