Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Comments on adopting draft-perez-krb-wg-gss-preauth-00.txt

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 11:00:51 -0400

we've received a request from the authors to consider adopting the GSS
pre-authentication mechanism as a working group document.

I'd like to solicit comments on this by October 5. I realize that's kind
of long, but I'm going to be fairly busy and won't have a chance to
follow the discussion as closely as I should, so I may have some
comments as chair on what gets said during the first week of October.

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:34:04 -0500

> comments as chair on what gets said during the first week of October.

I've been wanting GSS pre-auth for years.  I support WG adoption of
this document.  I volunteer to review.  Note that I have had
disagreements with the authors regarding state-keeping issues, but I'm
confident that we can work those out.

Nico
--

---

From: Josh Howlett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:37:50 +0000

>pre-authentication mechanism as a working group document.

I support adoption.

>I'd like to solicit comments on this by October 5.

The document currently references draft-ietf-krb-wg-preauth-framework-17;
RFC6113 would probably be more appropriate now.

I'm curious whether this mechanism will provide an RFC4401 PRF and how
this will relate (if at all) to the subordinate mechanism's PRF.

Josh.

JANET(UK) is a trading name of The JNT Association, a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under No. 2881024 
and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue,
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:40:25 -0400

>>>>> "Josh" == Josh Howlett <[email-masked]> writes:

    Josh> I'm curious whether this mechanism will provide an RFC4401 PRF
    Josh> and how this will relate (if at all) to the subordinate
    Josh> mechanism's PRF.

This is a adapter from GSS to Kerberos preauth isn't it?  Kerberos
preauth doesn't have a PRF although it may use one.  So, I'd assume it
wouldn't provide a 4401 PRF because that's a GSS thing and this provides
Kerberos preauth things.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Josh Howlett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:49:07 +0000

>wouldn't provide a 4401 PRF because that's a GSS thing and this provides

Of course you're right; excuse the confusion!

Josh.

---

From: Alejandro Perez Mendez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:46:12 +0200

>> pre-authentication mechanism as a working group document.

Great.

> RFC6113 would probably be more appropriate now.

You are right. I will change in for the next version.

Regards,
Alejandro