Subject: [Lager] wg charter being proposed

From: "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:10:55 -0300

Hello,
  this is the first email of the mailing list to trigger the archives. 
instead of sending a test message, herein is the proposed charter of the 
proposed wg.

Please comment.

Marc.
========
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lager/charter/

Charter for proposed Working Group
Domain registries, particularly those implementing IDNA (RFC 5890
et.al), usually maintain a set of criteria (or "ruleset") that governs
permissible labels allowed for registration, such as [IANAIDNTABLES].
These rulesets are commonly a mixture of eligible code points along
with contextual criteria that must be met concerning the positioning of
certain code points. Some registries also specify rules regarding
variant labels and how they are to be handled. Domain registries
commonly need to share these rules, but there is no interoperable format
that can be used that can support many common use cases. This group
seeks to produce such a format, which will enable re-use and simpler
implementation of rulesets in registries.

A comprehensive format specification has been developed, named Label
Generation Rules, primarily to support the rules to be used for the
DNS Root Zone [Davies]. This group will use this specification as a
starting point to develop a common XML language that provides a superset
of functionality of current specifications
[RFC 3743, RFC 4290, et.al], along with other known use cases. This
single format is expected to supersede existing formats, and form the
basis for future rulesets used at different levels of the DNS hierarchy.

Work items:
- Standard Track Specification of the Label Generation Rules

References:
[Davies] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davies-idntables/
[IANAIDNTABLES] https://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables

Proposed milestones
Date	Milestone
Dec 2015	Send the Label Generation Rules specification to the IESG
draft-davies-idntables