Subject: [Lager] [lager] #19 (specification): Manage extensibility of "type" attribute for scope

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 07:37:27 -0000

#19: Manage extensibility of "type" attribute for scope

 Currently, only the value "domain" is defined, all other values being
 application defined.

 While I support extensibility here, for one because I believe that other
 identifier systems should be enabled to leverage this work, it might be
 good to require that application defined types use a namespace.

 That would answer the concern (raised in a comment on issue #3:
 [http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/3]) that allowing such
 extensions would prohibit future standard values.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-lager-
  [email-masked]   |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:               |    Version:
  specification          |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>

---

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 17:40:31 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * type:  defect => enhancement

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-lager-
  [email-masked]   |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:
Component:               |     Version:
  specification          |  Resolution:
 Severity:  -            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19#comment:1>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>

---

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 22:45:43 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The requirement would be that the attribute value has to have a valid XML
 namespace of e.g. "newtype" that was declared earlier in the document. For
 example, to invent a private scope type of "pictures":

 <!-- declaration at the top of the XML file -->
 xmlns:newtype="http://www.mycompany.com/"
 . . .
 <!-- Example of scope in use -->
 <scope type="newtype:pictures">Picasso</scope>

 where "newtype" is an arbitrary placeholder.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19#comment:2>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>

---

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 00:02:26 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 "newtype" here is not an "arbitrary" placeholder, it is one that is set in
 the protocol for this attribute. The spec can pick any name it wants, but
 it should indicate that every use of scope/@type must either be "domain"
 or in the namespace "newtype".

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19#comment:3>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>

---

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 18:27:33 -0000

* status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 OK, I've drafted something like this for -03 (without the example), and
 using "apptype" not "newtype".

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-lager-
  [email-masked]   |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:
Component:               |     Version:
  specification          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  -            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19#comment:4>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>

---

From: "lager issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:42:34 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Regarding the new text in -03:

 > Such application-defined type values must be in a namespace "apptype"
 previously defined in the document.

 Perhaps you meant that "apptype" is an example XML namespace prefix
 declared in an ancestor node (XML namespace declarations may occur at any
 point in the tree, not just in the root `<lgr>` node.)

 I believe this form of usage makes the `type` attribute a
 [http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/qnameids.html#sec-qnames-xml QName]. This
 would mean that the built-in value of "domain" belongs to the document
 namespace, while any other prefix would belong to that prefix's namespace.
 It seems to me a valid use of QNames, and "domain" does not have to
 identify an actual element. However, this is stretching my XML knowledge.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lager/trac/ticket/19#comment:5>
lager <http://tools.ietf.org/lager/>