Subject: [Manet-dt] PacketBB Packet/Message TLV Type - MANET ID?

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:54:28 -0700

In MANET there are certain deployments that might want to operate
several separate MANETs using the same wireless channel. Should
PacketBB include a Packet/Message TLV identifying the MANET ID? These
TLVs would indicate to receiving nodes that the particular
packet/message is associated with a particular configured MANET ID.

This field would be used like OSPF area or instance ID to separate
routing regions though they might use the same links/medium.

Do you think we should include this in the PacketBB spec or should it
live elsewhere? Perhaps we should pull out "common" packet BB types
(PREFIX_LENGTH, etc) into a separate document.

Ian Chakeres

_______________________________________________
Manet-dt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet-dt

---

From: "Dearlove, Christopher \(UK\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:08:29 +0100

> packet/message is associated with a particular configured MANET ID.

I'm not at all sure if is the right solution. In particular I think
it's premature, it's a discussion of a specific detail when what's
needed is a wider architectural discussion first. There are some
implementation issues as well - we can filter protocols at the IP
or UDP/TCP level by protocol field and port number, that's a standard
mechanism. What's our mechanism for giving separate messages (it needs
to be at the message level, not the packet level - or at least not just
at the packet level) to different protocols? What about that the same
message (HELLO messages most obviously) need to be sent to more than
one protocol (OLSRv2 and SMF for a start)?

> live elsewhere?

Definitely not packetbb, it doesn't fit with the protocol independence.

> Perhaps we should pull out "common" packet BB types

Possibly, except not PREFIX_LENGTH. Prefix length is inherently tied
in with representing network addresses, and needs to stay in packetbb.
(This shows up when writing packetbb software, you can write protocol
independent packetbb software - I have - but it needs to be
PREFIX_LENGTH
aware, which says that PREFIX_LENGTH belongs in packetbb, where also it
can have type zero and be guaranteed to be first.)

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************