Subject: [PWE3] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5601 (1860)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5601,
"Pseudowire (PW) Management Information Base (MIB)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5601&eid=1860

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 12, pg.26

Original Text
-------------
a) [[ 2nd para of DESCRIPTION clause for pwOutboundLabel OBJECT-TYPE: ]]

          For MPLS, MPLS over IP, or MPLS over Generic Routing
          Encapsulation (GRE) PSN, it represents the 20-bit PW tag;
          for L2TP, it represents the 32-bit Session ID; and for
|         IP PSN, it represents the destination UDP port number.

b) [[ 2nd para of DESCRIPTION clause for pwInboundLabel OBJECT-TYPE: ]]

          For MPLS, MPLS over IP, or MPLS over GRE PSN, it represents
          the 20-bit PW tag; for L2TP, it represents the 32-bit
|         Session ID; and for IP PSN, it represents the source
          UDP port number.

Corrected Text
--------------
a)
          For MPLS, MPLS over IP, or MPLS over Generic Routing
          Encapsulation (GRE) PSN, it represents the 20-bit PW tag;
          for L2TP, it represents the 32-bit Session ID; and for
|         IP PSN, it represents the remote UDP port number.

b)
          For MPLS, MPLS over IP, or MPLS over GRE PSN, it represents
          the 20-bit PW tag; for L2TP, it represents the 32-bit
|         Session ID; and for IP PSN, it represents the local
          UDP port number.

Notes
-----
Rationale:

Confusion of terms; the role of source vs. destination port number
changes with the direction in which the packets are sent, whereas
the role of local vs. remote port number is static (from the point
of view of each peer) and as such can be configured here.
The necessary clarification substitutes the proper terms for the
inappropriate ones.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5601 (draft-ietf-pwe3-pw-mib-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Pseudowire (PW) Management Information Base (MIB)
Publication Date    : July 2009
Author(s)           : T. Nadeau, Ed., D. Zelig, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG