Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:00:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Examples of S/MIME Messages
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 29-Sep-99
	
This document gives examples of message bodies formatted using S/MIME.
Specifically, it has examples of Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
objects, S/MIME messages (including the MIME formatting), and Enhanced
Security Services for S/MIME (ESS). It includes examples of most or all
common CMS and ESS formats; in addition, it gives examples that show
common pitfalls in implementing CMS. The purpose of this document is to
help increase interoperability for S/MIME and other protocols that rely
on CMS.
This draft is being discussed on the 'ietf-smime' mailing list.  To
join the list, send a message to <[email-masked]> with the
single word 'subscribe' in the body of the message.  Also, there is a
Web site for the mailing list at <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:23:58 -0700

Just a reminder that this draft is mostly being discussed on the 
[email-masked] mailing list. If you are an S/MIME developer, 
you should certainly be on that list as well as this one, and you should 
certainly start testing the examples in this draft.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:23:58 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt
Sender: [email-masked]

Just a reminder that this draft is mostly being discussed on the 
[email-masked] mailing list. If you are an S/MIME developer, 
you should certainly be on that list as well as this one, and you should 
certainly start testing the examples in this draft.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:00:20 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-smime-examples-02.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:56:16 +0100
From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Organization: Bull
To: S-MIME / IETF <[email-masked]>, IETF-PXIX <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: Call for Comments on draft ETSI Electronic Signature Standard
Sender: [email-masked]

Call for Comments on draft ETSI Electronic Signature Standard

Note: This message is posted to the following IETF mailing lists:

PKIX: [email-masked]
S-MIME: [email-masked]
XML DIG-SIG: [email-masked]

If you subscribed to these mailing lists, you will receive the
message for each of them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ETSI has issued the draft "Electronic signature standardisation 
for business transactions", ETSI ES 201 733 for a last round of 
comments, before asking its members to vote on the document.

The draft standard (108 pages - 428 ko) is available from:
http://docbox.etsi.org/tech-org/security/open/el-sign/Draft_ES_201733_v-1-1-3.pdf

The document has been developed by the ETSI SEC working group on
Electronic Signature and Infrastructures, as part of the European
Electronic Signature Standardisation Initiative (EESSI). It is
issued as a draft ETSI standard for a last round of comments. 

Scope and contents of the draft

The aim of the document is to provide specifications so as to allow
for full compatibility of secure business transactions with regard
to electronic signatures. It covers all types of business
transactions, between an individual and a company, between two
companies, between an individual and a governmental body, etc...
Being independent of any platform, it can be applied to any
environment, such as smart cards, GSM SIM cards, etc.

Business actors, using different products, will be able to complete
secure transactions by relying on the standard in order to create,
read, interpret and validate electronic signatures. The standard
offers simple and more advanced forms of signatures according to the
signature policy, the latter in order to meet requirements of
long-term validity.

The document defines:

· Formats for various forms of Electronic Signatures,
· An experimental format for Signature Policies.

The format of Electronic Signatures uses the existing Cryptographic
Message Syntax (CMS), as defined in RFC 2630, and Enhanced Security
Services (ESS), as defined in RFC 2634. It uses signed and unsigned
attributes defined in CMS, ESS and the present document. 

The signature policy is a set of rules for the creation and
validation of an electronic signature, under which the signature can
be determined to be valid. It may be defined in free text or using
formal syntax and semantic. In the first case the validation of an
Electronic Signature may be done using a specific validation box
that must conform to the description of the signature policy while
in the second case the validation may be done using a generic
validation box able to process any signature policy. 

Informative annexes describe:

· an example structured content,
· the relationship between the present document and the European 
  draft directive on electronic signature and associated 
  standardisation initiatives,
· APIs to support the generation and the verification of 
  electronic signatures,
· Cryptographic algorithms that may be used,
· Guidance on naming.

In order to get a broader feedback from the technical and business
communities ETSI has chosen to place the document in the public
domain for comments rather than to limit it to its membership. 

Comments are welcome until October 31, 1999. After processing the
comments the document will be placed on vote to become an ETSI
standard, with the future option to seek acceptance by other
standard bodies.

Comments may be sent to the EL-SIGN mailing list.
Before sending a message to the list, you need to subcribe
to that mailing list: copy and paste the following command 
in the body of a message:

SUBSCRIBE EL-SIGN (First and Last name)
replace "first and last name" with your name and send it to:
[email-masked]

Then you may send a message to the list at : [email-masked]

Mail archive are available at: http://list.etsi.fr/el-sign.html

The web page from ETSI on Electronic Signature (ES) Standardisation
is: http://www.etsi.org/sec/el-sign.htm

About ETSI SEC

ETSI SEC is the technical body within ETSI carrying the main
responsibility for security infrastructures and services in the
telecom environment. As such, ETSI SEC devotes special interest to
interoperability issues at the communication and transaction levels
as well as to relevant aspects of trust relationships. One of the
ETSI SEC working groups, the Electronic Signature and
Infrastructures (ESI) WG is in charge of present and future ETSI
activities related to the EESSI work program.

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:48:19 +0100
From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Organization: Bull
To: S-MIME / IETF <[email-masked]>, Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for Comments on draft ETSI Electronic Signature Standard
Sender: [email-masked]

Call for Comments on draft ETSI Electronic Signature Standard

Note: This message is posted to the following IETF mailing lists:

PKIX: [email-masked]
S-MIME: [email-masked]
XML DIG-SIG: [email-masked]

If you subscribed to these mailing lists, you will receive the
message for each of them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ETSI has issued the draft "Electronic signature standardisation for
business transactions", ETSI ES 201 733 for a last round of
comments, before asking its members to vote on the document.

The draft standard (108 pages - 428 ko) is available from:
http://docbox.etsi.org/tech-org/security/open/el-sign/Draft_ES_201733_v-1-1-3.pdf

The document has been developed by the ETSI SEC working group on
Electronic Signature and Infrastructures, as part of the European
Electronic Signature Standardisation Initiative (EESSI). It is
issued as a draft ETSI standard for a last round of comments. 

Scope and contents of the draft

The aim of the document is to provide specifications so as to allow
for full compatibility of secure business transactions with regard
to electronic signatures. It covers all types of business
transactions, between an individual and a company, between two
companies, between an individual and a governmental body, etc...
Being independent of any platform, it can be applied to any
environment, such as smart cards, GSM SIM cards, etc.

Business actors, using different products, will be able to complete
secure transactions by relying on the standard in order to create,
read, interpret and validate electronic signatures. The standard
offers simple and more advanced forms of signatures according to the
signature policy, the latter in order to meet requirements of
long-term validity.

The document defines:

· Formats for various forms of Electronic Signatures,
· An experimental format for Signature Policies.

The format of Electronic Signatures uses the existing Cryptographic
Message Syntax (CMS), as defined in RFC 2630, and Enhanced Security
Services (ESS), as defined in RFC 2634. It uses signed and unsigned
attributes defined in CMS, ESS and the present document. 

The signature policy is a set of rules for the creation and
validation of an electronic signature, under which the signature can
be determined to be valid. It may be defined in free text or using
formal syntax and semantic. In the first case the validation of an
Electronic Signature may be done using a specific validation box
that must conform to the description of the signature policy while
in the second case the validation may be done using a generic
validation box able to process any signature policy. 

Informative annexes describe:

· an example structured content,
· the relationship between the present document and the European
draft directive on electronic signature and associated
standardisation initiatives,
· APIs to support the generation and the verification of electronic
signatures,
· Cryptographic algorithms that may be used,
· Guidance on naming.

In order to get a broader feedback from the technical and business
communities ETSI has chosen to place the document in the public
domain for comments rather than to limit it to its membership. 

Comments are welcome until October 31, 1999. After processing the
comments the document will be placed on vote to become an ETSI
standard, with the future option to seek acceptance by other
standard bodies.

Comments may be sent to the EL-SIGN mailing list.
Before sending a message to the list, you need to subcribe
to that mailing list: copy and paste the following command 
in the body of a message:

SUBSCRIBE EL-SIGN (First and Last name)
replace "first and last name" with your name and send it to:
[email-masked]

Then you may send a message to the list at : [email-masked]

Mail archive are available at: http://list.etsi.fr/el-sign.html

The web page from ETSI on Electronic Signature (ES) Standardisation
is:
http://www.etsi.org/sec/el-sign.htm

About ETSI SEC

ETSI SEC is the technical body within ETSI carrying the main
responsibility for security infrastructures and services in the
telecom environment. As such, ETSI SEC devotes special interest to
interoperability issues at the communication and transaction levels
as well as to relevant aspects of trust relationships. One of the
ETSI SEC working groups, the Electronic Signature and
Infrastructures (ESI) WG is in charge of present and future ETSI
activities related to the EESSI work program.

From: "Ward, Jon" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Gert Heidema'" <[email-masked]>, "'Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK '" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked] '" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: S/MIME version 3 email software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:41:34 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

If I'm not mistaken, most of the commercially available clients support
S/MIME 3.  Microsoft Outlook 2000, 98, Outlook Express 4 and 5, Netscape
Communicator, WorldTalk S/MIME Everywhere client should as well.  I know for
sure that they all support S/MIME, but I am not sure about the exact version
number.  They do support the Certificate Revocation List and Chain Trusts.
Let me know if these are what you're looking for.

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: Gert Heidema [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 3:31 AM
To: 'Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK '; [email-masked] '
Subject: RE: S/MIME version 3 email software

I have not yet found S/MIME V3 software. Asking around, the suppliers asked
me what features are most wanted.
My answer would be CRL checking and chain trusts.
What other features are you looking for?

Best regards,

Gert Heidema
Manager Consultancy Services
Software Connection BV
The Netherlands

-----Original Message-----
From: Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 24-9-99 18:38
Subject: S/MIME version 3 email software

Does anyone know of any email software that is available
that supports S/MIME version 3?
I found that a similar question was posted on June 18th.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Goddard
AT&T Information Security Center

From: "Frank W. Nolden" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gert Heidema" <[email-masked]>, "'Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK '" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: S/MIME version 3 email software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:49:31 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

I have heared that Baltimore has their Mail Toolkit available for S/MIME
version 3. Then sometime later (early next year) they will definitely have
their MailSecure product ready for S/MIME version 3. At least that is what
they told me :-)
Regards,

Frank W. Nolden
MaXware Benelux B.V.

Tel:  +31 20 45 29 650
Fax: +31 20 45 29 161

Mobile:              +31 65 12 22 530
Personal Fax:    +31 20 88 22 425
GSM Mail:        [email-masked]
ICQ:                    48123368

Web: http://www.maxware.nl

----- Original Message -----
From: Gert Heidema <[email-masked]>
To: 'Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK ' <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 09:30
Subject: RE: S/MIME version 3 email software

> I have not yet found S/MIME V3 software. Asking around, the suppliers
asked
> me what features are most wanted.
> My answer would be CRL checking and chain trusts.
> What other features are you looking for?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gert Heidema
> Manager Consultancy Services
> Software Connection BV
> The Netherlands
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK
> To: [email-masked]
> Sent: 24-9-99 18:38
> Subject: S/MIME version 3 email software
>
> Does anyone know of any email software that is available
> that supports S/MIME version 3?
> I found that a similar question was posted on June 18th.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan Goddard
> AT&T Information Security Center
>
>

From: "Gert Heidema" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK '" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked] '" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: S/MIME version 3 email software
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:30:42 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

I have not yet found S/MIME V3 software. Asking around, the suppliers asked
me what features are most wanted.
My answer would be CRL checking and chain trusts.
What other features are you looking for?

Best regards,

Gert Heidema
Manager Consultancy Services
Software Connection BV
The Netherlands

-----Original Message-----
From: Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 24-9-99 18:38
Subject: S/MIME version 3 email software

Does anyone know of any email software that is available
that supports S/MIME version 3?
I found that a similar question was posted on June 18th.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Goddard
AT&T Information Security Center

From: "Goddard, Daniel E (Dan), GOVMK" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: S/MIME version 3 email software
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:38:22 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

Does anyone know of any email software that is available
that supports S/MIME version 3?
I found that a similar question was posted on June 18th.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Goddard
AT&T Information Security Center

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:58:55 -0600
From: "Robert Jueneman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mail Services
Sender: [email-masked]

This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may want to 
consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands how to 
properly handle MIME multipart messages.

--=_44129957.2746229D
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

You might want to look at the results of the RSA S/MIME interoperability =
tests,
posted at http://www.rsasecurity.com/standards/smime/interop_center.html.

I don't see them listed there.

Bob

>>> "Michael Hallgren" <[email-masked]> 09/20/99 05:16AM >>>

Hi,

Could someone confirm that SoftArcs FirsClass clients are S/MIME compatible=

?

Cheers

mh

> Hi Michael
>
> > I'm not completely sure what it really is you want to do, but I hope =
I'm
> > soon going to send automatically created (content and addresses from =
DB,
> > cert/keys from a .p12 file (according to PKCS 12)) S/MIME messages via =
a
> > normal SMTP server.
> > I'm using a full strength Java Cryptography Extension reimplementation
> > and an S/MIME package available from:
> >
> > http://jcewww.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at
> >
> > ' hope this is helpful :)
>
>
> Sure is. I went to take a look. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking
for
> (up to possible licensing
> issues).
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheers
>
> mh
>
>
> >
> > Michael
> >
> >
> > Michael Hallgren wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Might be somewhat out of track, but I'd appreciate to get a lead for =
a
> > > decision ;)
> > >
> > > I'm reflecting on an SMTP service sending S/MIME encoded mail. The
> public
> > > cert's
> > > should be retreived from a directory service and the mail generated =
by
> an
> > > automat
> > > (upon stimuli) rather than a desktop mail client (no manual
interaction,
> > > that is).
> > >
> > > Now, I was tempted to make use of the SFL libraries, and implementing=

> the
> > > service
> > > over OSS. However, I'm living and working in France... ...
> > >
> > > So, I'm now reflecting on comercially offer's. What about the SIMS
(Sun)
> > > Entrust/PKI
> > > couple. Has anyone sucessfully tried it out for some similar
> implementation
> > > ? Any
> > > advice ?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > mh
> > > --
> > > Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr
> > >
> > >                     Always make mistakes.
> > >
> > >                             - E Dyson
> >
> > --
> >
> > PIRONET INTRANET AG
> > Michael Probst - SBU Services
> > Im Mediapark 5 - 50670 Cologne - Germany
> > Tel.: +49 (0)221 454 3771 - Fax: +49 (0)221 454 3710
> > mailto:[email-masked] - http://www.pironet.com
> >
>
>

--=_44129957.2746229D
Content-Type: TEXT/HTML
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="TEXT.htm"

--=_44129957.2746229D--

From: "Michael Hallgren" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mail Services
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:16:55 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Could someone confirm that SoftArcs FirsClass clients are S/MIME compatible
?

Cheers

mh

> Hi Michael
>
> > I'm not completely sure what it really is you want to do, but I hope I'm
> > soon going to send automatically created (content and addresses from DB,
> > cert/keys from a .p12 file (according to PKCS 12)) S/MIME messages via a
> > normal SMTP server.
> > I'm using a full strength Java Cryptography Extension reimplementation
> > and an S/MIME package available from:
> >
> > http://jcewww.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at
> >
> > ' hope this is helpful :)
>
>
> Sure is. I went to take a look. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking
for
> (up to possible licensing
> issues).
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheers
>
> mh
>
>
> >
> > Michael
> >
> >
> > Michael Hallgren wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Might be somewhat out of track, but I'd appreciate to get a lead for a
> > > decision ;)
> > >
> > > I'm reflecting on an SMTP service sending S/MIME encoded mail. The
> public
> > > cert's
> > > should be retreived from a directory service and the mail generated by
> an
> > > automat
> > > (upon stimuli) rather than a desktop mail client (no manual
interaction,
> > > that is).
> > >
> > > Now, I was tempted to make use of the SFL libraries, and implementing
> the
> > > service
> > > over OSS. However, I'm living and working in France... ...
> > >
> > > So, I'm now reflecting on comercially offer's. What about the SIMS
(Sun)
> > > Entrust/PKI
> > > couple. Has anyone sucessfully tried it out for some similar
> implementation
> > > ? Any
> > > advice ?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > mh
> > > --
> > > Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr
> > >
> > >                     Always make mistakes.
> > >
> > >                             - E Dyson
> >
> > --
> >
> > PIRONET INTRANET AG
> > Michael Probst - SBU Services
> > Im Mediapark 5 - 50670 Cologne - Germany
> > Tel.: +49 (0)221 454 3771 - Fax: +49 (0)221 454 3710
> > mailto:[email-masked] - http://www.pironet.com
> >
>
>

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Wealth at once!!
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:08:18
Sender: [email-masked]

This is a one time message, if it reached you by mistake please accept 
my apologies, disregard and delete. Thank you.

Dear Entrepreneur:

Please take the time to read this. It can start you on the road to an 
easier life as an internet businessman/woman.
Thank you.

EBIZ = 1,2,3...4 CASH!

1.	READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH!
2.	FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!
3.	GO BUY A BIG BAG...
4. 	ALL THE CASH!

THE PROGRAM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

INCREDIBLE $0 to $50,000 in 90 days!!!

Dear Friend,

You can earn $50,000 or more in next the 90 days sending e-mail. Seem 
impossible? Read on for details.

"AS SEEN ON NATIONAL TV"
Thank you for your time and interest. This is the letter you've been 
reading about in the news lately.  Due to the popularity of this letter 
on the Internet, a major nightly news program recently devoted an entire 
show to the investigation of the program described below to see if it 
really can make people money.
The show also investigated whether or not the program was legal.  Their 
findings proved once and for all that there are absolutely no laws 
prohibiting the participation in the program. This has helped to show 
people that this is a simple, harmless and fun way to make some extra 
money at home.
The results of this show have been truly remarkable. So many people are 
participating that those involved are doing much better than ever 
before.  Since everyone makes more as more people try it out, it's been 
very exciting to be a part of it lately. You will understand once you 
experience it.

HERE IT IS BELOW:

*** Print This Now For Future Reference ***
The following income opportunity is one you may be interested in taking 
a look at. It can be started with VERY LITTLE investment and the income 
return is TREMENDOUS!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If you would like to make at least $50,000 in less than 90 days !
Please read the enclosed program...THEN READ IT AGAIN!!!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

THIS IS A LEGITIMATE, LEGAL, MONEY MAKING OPPORTUNITY. It does not 
require you to come into contact with people, do any hard work, and best 
of all, you never have to leave the house except to get the mail. If you 
believe that someday you'll get that big break that you've been waiting 
for, THIS IS IT!  Simply follow the instructions, and your dreams will 
come true. This multi-level e-mail order marketing program works 
perfectly...100% EVERY TIME.
E-mail is the sales tool of the future. Take advantage of this 
non-commercialized method of advertising NOW!!! The longer you wait, the 
more people will be doing business using e-mail. Get your piece of this 
action!!!
MULTI-LEVEL MARKETING (MLM) has finally gained respectability.  It is 
being taught in the Harvard Business School, and both Stanford Research 
and the Wall Street Journal have stated that between 50% and 65% of all 
goods and services will be sold through multi-level methods by the mid 
to late 1990's.  This is a Multi-Billion Dollar industry and of the 
500,000 millionaires in the U.S., 20% (100,000) made their fortune in 
the last several years in MLM.  Moreover, statistics show 45 people 
become millionaires everyday through Multi-Level Marketing.
You may have heard this story before, but over the summer Donald Trump 
made an appearance on the David Letterman show. Dave asked him what he 
would do if he lost everything and had to start over from scratch. 
Without hesitating, Trump said he would find a good network marketing 
company and get to work. The audience started to hoot and boo him. He 
looked out at the audience and dead-panned his response:
"That's why I'm sitting up here and you are all sitting out there!"
The enclosed information is something I almost let slip through my 
fingers. Fortunately, sometime later I re-read everything and gave some 
thought and study to it. My name is Johnathon Rourke. Two years ago, the 
corporation I worked at for the past twelve years down-sized and my 
position was eliminated. After unproductive job interviews, I decided to 
open my own business. Over the past year, I incurred many unforeseen 
financial problems.  I owed my family, friends and creditors over 
$35,000.
The economy was taking a toll on my business and I just couldn't seem to 
make ends meet. I had to refinance and borrow against my home to support 
my family and struggling business. AT THAT MOMENT something significant 
happened in my life and I am writing to share the experience in hopes 
that this will change your life FOREVER FINANCIALLY!!!
In mid December, I received this program via e-mail. Six month's prior 
to receiving this program I had been sending away for information on 
various business opportunities. All of the programs I received, in my 
opinion, were not cost effective. They were either too difficult for me 
to comprehend or the initial investment was too much for me to risk to 
see if they would work or not. One claimed that I would make a million 
dollars in one year...it didn't tell me I'd have to write a book to make 
it!
But like I was saying, in December of 1997 I received this program. I 
didn't send for it, or ask for it, they just got my name off a mailing 
list. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!!! After reading it several times, to make 
sure I was reading it correctly, I couldn't believe my eyes. Here was a 
MONEY MAKING PHENOMENON. I could invest as much as I wanted to start, 
without putting me further into debt. After I got a pencil and paper and 
figured it out, I would at least get my money back. But like most of you 
I was still a little sceptical and a little worried about the legal 
aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office 
(1-800-725-2161 24-hrs) and they confirmed that it is indeed legal! 
After determining the program was LEGAL and NOT A CHAIN LETTER, I 
decided "WHY NOT."
Initially I sent out 10,000 e-mails. It cost me about $15 for my time 
on-line. The great thing about e-mail is that I don't need any money for 
printing to send out the program, and because all of my orders are 
fulfilled via e-mail, my only expense is my time. I am telling you like 
it is I hope it doesn't turn you off, but I promised myself that I would 
not "rip-off" anyone, no matter how much money it made me.
In less than one week, I was starting to receive orders for REPORT #1 By 
January 13, I had received 26 orders for REPORT #1. Your goal is to 
"RECEIVE at least 20 ORDERS FOR REPORT #1 WITHIN 2 WEEKS. IF YOU DON'T, 
SEND OUT MORE PROGRAMS UNTIL YOU DO!" My first step in making $50,000 in 
90 days was done.  By January 30, I had received 196 orders for REPORT 
#2. Your goal is to "RECEIVE AT LEAST 100+ ORDERS FOR REPORT #2 WITHIN 2 
WEEKS. IF NOT, SEND OUT MORE PROGRAMS UNTIL YOU DO. ONCE YOU HAVE 100 
ORDERS, THE REST IS EASY, RELAX, YOU WILL MAKE YOUR $50,000 GOAL." Well, 
I had 196 orders for REPORT #2, 96 more than I needed. So I sat back and 
relaxed. By March 1, of my e-mailing of 10,000, I received $58,000 with 
more coming in every day.
I paid off ALL my debts and bought a much needed new car. Please take 
time to read the attached program, IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!  ! 
Remember, it won't work if you don't try it. This program does work , 
but you must follow it EXACTLY! Especially the rules of not trying to 
place your name in a different place. It won't work and you'll lose out 
on a lot of money!
In order for this program to work, you must meet your goal of 20+ orders 
for REPORT #1, and 100+ orders for REPORT #2 and you will make $50,000 
or more in 90 days. I AM LIVING PROOF THAT IT WORKS!!!
If you choose not to participate in this program, I am sorry. It really 
is a great opportunity with little cost or risk to you. If you choose to 
participate, follow the program and you will be on your way to financial 
security. If you are a fellow business owner and are in financial 
trouble like I was, or you want to start your own business, consider 
this a sign. I DID!
Sincerely,
Johnathon Rourke

A PERSONAL NOTE FROM THE ORIGINATOR OF THIS PROGRAM:
By the time you have read the enclosed program and reports, you should 
have concluded that such a program, and one that is legal, could not 
have been created by an amateur.
Let me tell you a little about myself. I had a profitable business for 
10 years. Then in 1979 my business began falling off. I was doing the 
same things that were previously successful for me, but it wasn't 
working. Finally, I figured it out. It wasn't me, it was the economy.  
Inflation and recession had replaced the stable economy that had been 
with us since 1945.I don't have to tell you what happened to the 
unemployment rate... because many of you know from first hand 
experience. There were more failures and bankruptcies than ever before.
The middle class was vanishing. Those who knew what they were doing 
invested wisely and moved up. Those who did not, including those who 
never had anything to save or invest, were moving down into the ranks of 
the poor. As the saying goes, "THE RICH GET RICHER AND THE POOR GET 
POORER." The traditional methods of making money will never allow you to 
"move up" or "get rich", inflation will see to that.
You have just received information that can give you financial freedom 
for the rest of your life, with "NO RISK" and "JUST A LITTLE BIT OF 
EFFORT." You can make more money in the next few months than you have 
ever imagined. I should also point out that I will not see a penny of 
this money, nor anyone else who has provided a testimonial for this 
program. I have already made over 4 MILLION DOLLARS!I have retired from 
the program after sending thousands and thousands of programs.
Follow the program EXACTLY AS INSTRUCTED. Do not change it in any way . 
It works exceedingly well as it is now. Remember to e-mail a copy of 
this exciting report to everyone you can think of. One of the people you 
send this to may send out 50,000...and your name will be on everyone of 
them!
Remember though, the more you send out the more potential customers you 
will reach.
So my friend, I have given you the ideas, information, materials and 
opportunity to become financially independent. IT IS UP TO YOU NOW!
"THINK ABOUT IT"
Before you delete this program from your mailbox, as I almost did, take 
a little time to read it and REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. Get a pencil and 
figure out what could happen when YOU participate. Figure out the worst 
possible response and no matter how you calculate it, you will still 
make a lot of money! You will definitely get back what you invested. Any 
doubts you have will vanish when your first orders come in. IT WORKS!
Jody Jacobs, Richmond, VA
HERE'S HOW THIS AMAZING PROGRAM WILL MAKE YOU THOUSANDS OF DOLLAR$
INSTRUCTIONS:
This method of raising capital REALLY WORKS 100% EVERY TIME.  I am sure 
that you could use up to $50,000 or more in the next 90 days. Before you 
say "BULL... ", please read this program carefully.
This is not a chain letter, but a perfectly legal money making 
opportunity. Basically, this is what you do: As with all multi-level 
businesses, we build our business by recruiting new partners and selling 
our products. Every state in the USA allows you to recruit new 
multi-level business partners, and we offer a product for EVERY dollar 
sent. YOUR ORDERS COME BY MAIL AND ARE FILLED BY E-MAIL, so you are not 
involved in personal selling. You do it privately in your own home, 
store or office. This is the GREATEST Multi-Level Mail Order Marketing 
anywhere.
This is what you MUST do:
1. Order all 4 reports shown on the list below (you can't sell them if 
you don't order them).
* For each report, send $5.00 CASH, the NAME & NUMBER OF THE REPORT YOU 
ARE ORDERING, YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, and YOUR NAME & RETURN ADDRESS (in 
case of a problem) to the person whose name appears on the list next to 
the report.  MAKE SURE YOUR RETURN ADDRESS IS ON YOUR ENVELOPE IN CASE 
OF ANY MAIL PROBLEMS!
* When you place your order, make sure you order each of the four 
reports. You will need all four reports so that you can save them on 
your computer and resell them.
* Within a few days you will receive, via e-mail, each of the four 
reports. Save them on your computer so they will be accessible for you 
to send to the 1,000's of people who will order them from you.

2. IMPORTANT DO NOT alter the names of the people who are listed next to 
each report, or their sequence on the list, in any way other than is 
instructed below in steps "a" through "f" or you will lose out on the 
majority of your profits. Once you understand the way this works, you'll 
also see how it doesn't work if you change it. Remember, this method has 
been tested, and if you alter it, it will not work.
a. Look below for the listing of available reports.
b. After you've ordered the four reports, take this advertisement and 
remove the name and address under REPORT #4. This person has made it 
through the cycle and is no doubt counting their $50,000!  c. Move the 
name and address under REPORT #3 down to REPORT #4.  d. Move the name 
and address under REPORT #2 down to REPORT #3.  e. Move the name and 
address under REPORT #1 down to REPORT #2.  f.  Insert your name/address 
in the REPORT #1 position.
Please make sure you COPY ALL INFORMATION, every name and address, 
ACCURATELY!
3. Take this entire letter, including the modified list of names, and 
save it to your computer. Make NO changes to the instruction portion of 
this letter.
Your cost to participate in this is practically nothing (surely you can 
afford $20). You obviously already have an Internet connection and 
e-mail is FREE!

There are two primary methods of building your downline:
METHOD #1: SENDING BULK E-MAIL
Let's say that you decide to start small, just to see how it goes, and 
we'll assume you and all those involved send out only 2,000 programs 
each. Let's also assume that the mailing receives a 0.5% response. Using 
a good list the response could be much better. Also, many people will 
send out hundreds of thousands of programs instead of 2,000. But 
continuing with this example, you send out only 2,000 programs. With a 
0.5% response, that is only 10 orders for REPORT #1. Those 10 people 
respond by sending out 2,000 programs each for a total of 20,000. Out of 
those 0.5%, 100 people respond and order REPORT #2. Those 100 mail out 
2,000 programs each for a total of 200,000.
The 0.5% response to that is 1,000 orders for REPORT #3. Those 1,000 
send out 2,000 programs each for a 2,000,000 total. The 0.5% response to 
that is 10,000 orders for REPORT #4. That's 10,000 $5 bills for you. 
CASH!!! Your total income in this example is $50 + $500 + $5,000 + 
$50,000 for a total of $55,550!!! REMEMBER FRIEND, THIS IS ASSUMING 
1,990 OUT OF THE 2,000 PEOPLE YOU MAIL TO WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND 
TRASH THIS PROGRAM! DARE TO THINK FOR A MOMENT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF 
EVERYONE, OR HALF SENT OUT 100,000 PROGRAMS INSTEAD OF 2,000.  Believe 
me, many people will do just that, and more! By the way, your cost to 
participate in this is practically nothing.  You obviously already have 
an Internet connection and e-mail is FREE!!! REPORT #2 will show you the 
best methods for bulk e-mailing, tell you where to obtain free bulk 
e-mail software and where to obtain e-mail lists.

METHOD #2 - PLACING FREE ADS ON THE INTERNET
Advertising on the internet is very, very inexpensive, and there are 
HUNDREDS of FREE places to advertise. Let's say you decide to start 
small just to see how well it works. Assume your goal is to get ONLY 10 
people to participate on your first level. (Placing a lot of FREE ads on 
the Internet will EASILY get a larger response.) Also assume that 
everyone else in YOUR ORGANIZATION gets ONLY 10 downline members.
Follow this example to achieve the STAGGERING results below:
1st level-your 10 members with 
$5.......................................$50
2nd level--10 members from those 10 ($5 x 100)..................$500
3rd level--10 members from those 100 ($5 x 1,000)...........$5,000
4th level--10 members from those 1,000 ($5 x 10,000).....$50,000
THIS TOTALS ---------->$55,550
Remember friends, this assumes that the people who participate only 
recruit 10 people each. Think for a moment what would happen if they got 
20 people to participate! Most people get 100's of participants!  THINK 
ABOUT IT! For every $5.00 you receive, all you must do is e-mail them 
the report they ordered. THAT'S IT! ALWAYS PROVIDE SAME-DAY SERVICE ON 
ALL ORDERS! This will guarantee that the e-mail THEY send out with YOUR 
name and address on it will be prompt because they can't advertise until 
they receive the report!
AVAILABLE REPORTS
*** Order Each REPORT by NUMBER and NAME ***
Notes:
* ALWAYS SEND $5 CASH (U.S. CURRENCY) FOR EACH REPORT. CHECKS NOT 
ACCEPTED.
* ALWAYS SEND YOUR ORDER VIA FIRST CLASS MAIL.
* Make sure the cash is concealed by wrapping it in at least two sheets 
of paper. On one of those sheets of paper, include:
(a) the number & name of the report you are ordering, (b) your e-mail 
address, and (c) your name & postal address.
PLACE YOUR ORDER FOR THESE REPORTS NOW:

REPORT #1   "The Insider's Guide to Advertising for Free on the 
Internet'
ORDER REPORT #1 FROM
EBIZ 
PH2-45 Grenoble Drive
Toronto, Ontario
Canada   M3C 1C5

REPORT #2  "The Insider's Guide to sending Bulk E-Mail on the Internet.
ORDER REPORT #2 FROM:
C. Alexander
2315 Lava Dr.
San Jose, CA 95133

REPORT #3  "The secrets of Multilevel Marketing on the Internet.
ORDER REPORT #3 FROM:
P.G. Webb
16 Huntley Crescent
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada, L2M 6E7

REPORT #4  "How to become a Millionaire Utilizing the Power of 
Multilevel Marketing on the Internet"
ORDER REPORT #4 FROM:
F.D. Hardy
22306 128th. ST. E.
Sumner, Wa. 98390-7634

About 50,000 new people get online every month!
******* TIPS FOR SUCCESS *******
* TREAT THIS AS YOUR BUSINESS! Be prompt, professional, and follow the 
directions accurately.
* Send for the four reports IMMEDIATELY so you will have them when the 
orders start coming in because: When you receive a $5 order, you MUST 
send out the requested product/report.
* ALWAYS PROVIDE SAME-DAY SERVICE ON THE ORDERS YOU RECEIVE.
* Be patient and persistent with this program. If you follow the 
instructions exactly, your results WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!
* ABOVE ALL, HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF AND KNOW YOU WILL SUCCEED!

******* YOUR SUCCESS GUIDELINES ******* Follow these guidelines to 
guarantee your success:
If you don't receive 20 orders for REPORT #1 within two weeks, Continue 
advertising or sending e-mails until you do. Then, a couple of weeks 
later you should receive at least 100 orders for REPORT#2. If you don 
't, continue advertising or sending e-mails until you do. Once you have 
received 100 or more orders for REPORT #2, YOU CAN RELAX, because the 
system is already working for you, and the cash will continue to roll 
in!
THIS IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER:
Every time your name is moved down on the list, you are placed in front 
of a DIFFERENT report. You can KEEP TRACK of your PROGRESS by watching 
which report people are ordering from you. If you want to generate more 
income, send another batch of e-mails or continue placing ads and start 
the whole process again! There is no limit to the income you will 
generate from this business!
Before you make your decision as to whether or not you participate in 
this program. Please answer one question. DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR 
LIFE? If the answer is yes, please look at the following facts about 
this program:

1. You are selling a product which does not Cost anything to PRODUCE, 
SHIP OR ADVERTISE.
2. All of your customers pay you in CASH!
3. E-mail is without question the most powerful method of distributing 
information on earth. This program combines the distribution power of 
e-mail together with the revenue generating power of multi-level 
marketing.
4. Your only expense-other than your initial $20 investment-is your 
time!
5. Virtually all of the income you generate from this program is PURE 
PROFIT!
6. This program will change your LIFE FOREVER.

ACT NOW! Take your first step toward achieving financial independence.  
Order the reports and follow the program outlined above-SUCCESS will be 
your reward.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

PLEASE NOTE: If you need help with starting a business, registering a 
business name, learning how income tax is handled, etc., contact your 
local office of the Small Business Administration (a Federal Agency) 
1-800-827-5722 for free help and answers to questions. Also, the 
Internal Revenue Service offers free help via telephone and free 
seminars about business tax requirements. Your earnings are highly 
dependent on your activities and advertising. The information contained 
on this site and in the report constitutes no guarantees stated nor 
implied. In the event that it is determined that this site or report 
constitutes a guarantee of any kind, that guarantee is now void. The 
earnings amounts listed on this site and in the report are estimates 
only. If you have any questions of the legality of this program, contact 
the Office of Associate Director for Marketing Practices, Federal Trade 
Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection in Washington, DC.

 

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:50:35 -0400
To: [email-masked]
From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

X.509-1997 defines the supported algorithm attribute.  There seems to be a 
lot of overlap.

Russ

= = = = = = = = = =

12.2.2.8  Supported algorithms attribute

A Directory attribute is defined to support the selection of an algorithm 
for use when communicating with a remote end entity using certificates as 
defined in this Directory Specification. The following ASN.1 defines this 
(multi-valued) attribute:

    supportedAlgorithms ATTRIBUTE ::= {
   	WITH SYNTAX SupportedAlgorithm
	EQUALITY MATCHING RULE algorithmIdentifierMatch
   	ID id-at-supportedAlgorithms }

    SupportedAlgorithm ::= SEQUENCE {
   	algorithmIdentifier              AlgorithmIdentifier,
	intendedUsage                [0] KeyUsage OPTIONAL,
	intendedCertificatePolicies  [1] CertificatePoliciesSyntax OPTIONAL }

Each value of the multi-valued attribute shall have a distinct 
algorithmIdentifier value. The value of the intendedUsage component 
provides an indication of the intended usage of the algorithm (see 12.2.2.3 
for recognized uses). The value of the intendedCertificatePolicies 
component identifies the certificate policies and, optionally, certificate 
policy qualifiers with which the identified algorithm may be used.

From: "Walter Williams" <[email-masked]>
To: "Russ Housley" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:30:28 -0400
Importance: Normal
Sender: [email-masked]

Russ,

One thought here is backwards compatability of existing s/mime aware
clients.  Some may have been written to check for the cert in only one of
the available attributes.  You don't want to change the directory in a way
which prevents an older client from seeing the certificate. (might though
give vendors a thrill to have to say: so sorry, but due to a standard change
we must force you to upgrade to support s/mime again)  Certificates are also
not very large (compaired with a .jpg picture of the directory entrant as a
comparitive example) and so the data bloat does not waste much drive space.
Of course, if all available clients look in both places, my statement is
pretty much a waste of good bandwidth.

Walt Williams
GTE Internetworking

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Russ Housley
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 1999 12:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST

Jim:

I must agree with many of the points that Dave Kemp made.  Is it worth
putting multiple copies of the same certificate into the Directory?  This
can lean to inconsistincies.

Maybe it would be better to follow the PKIX LDAP Schema and add an
S/MIME-specific attribute too the directory entry.  The binding you seek
could be achieved by putting a reference to a specific certificate that is
available in the userCertificate attribute inside the S/MIME-specific
attribute.

Thoughts?

Russ

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:34:39 -0400
To: [email-masked]
From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Cert Attributes in CERTDIST
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

Jim:

I must agree with many of the points that Dave Kemp made.  Is it worth 
putting multiple copies of the same certificate into the Directory?  This 
can lean to inconsistincies.

Maybe it would be better to follow the PKIX LDAP Schema and add an 
S/MIME-specific attribute too the directory entry.  The binding you seek 
could be achieved by putting a reference to a specific certificate that is 
available in the userCertificate attribute inside the S/MIME-specific 
attribute.

Thoughts?

Russ

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:57:00 -0600
Subject: OID for Two-Key Triple-DES
To: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

--____MGNPJNXVVBXFETIEVPHJ____
Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="____UREWELMYLOIWKIZHBNCX____"

--____UREWELMYLOIWKIZHBNCX____
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Has any standards group defined an OID for two-key triple DES in CBC, =
i.e.,=20
EDE where the first and third keys are identical?

The CMC specification states that the same OID should be used as is used
for triple-DES, but that isn't workable in our environment because of the =
more=20
favorable treatment allowed two-key DES when used for key management.

If no standards group has published an OID, are there any common-used
vendor (defacto) standards for the same?

If no one has one, I guess we'll have to define one unilaterally, and map =
it
when and if a standard one emerges.  But I'd rather not.

Bob

Robert R. Jueneman
Security Architect
Network Security Development
Novell, Inc.
122 East 1700 South
Provo, UT 84606
[email-masked]
1-801-861-7387

DISCLAIMER:
If this message or document is digitally signed, and/or if certificates =
are attached, the intended purpose is to=20
   (1) Ensure that e-mail came from the apparent sender
   (2) Protect e-mail from tampering
   (3) Ensure that the content of e-mail sent to me and encrypted in  my =
dual-use key cannot be viewed by others.
It is explicitly NOT the intent of any such signed message or document to =
represent any type or form of legally binding contract or other representat=
ion, and any such interpretation WILL BE REPUDIATED, notwithstanding any =
wording or implications to the opposite effect in the text of the message 	=
itself; due in part, but not exclusively, to the fact that the security of =
my workstation and its associated cryptography is not judged adequately =
strong for such purposes at present.

--____UREWELMYLOIWKIZHBNCX____
Content-type: text/x-vcard; charset=windows-1252; name="Bob Jueneman.vcf"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
Content-disposition: attachment; filename="Bob Jueneman.vcf";
	modification-date="Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:57:48 -0600"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Robert R. Jueneman
TEL;WORK:1-801-861-7387, 1-800-453-1267
ORG:Novell, Inc.;Network Security Development
TEL;PREF;FAX:1-801-861-2522
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:[email-masked]
N:Jueneman;Bob
TITLE:Security Architect
ADR;INTL;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL:;PRV-F331;122 E. 1700 South;Provo;Utah;84606;US=
A
LABEL;INTL;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Robert R. =
Jueneman=3D0A=3D
PRV-F331=3D0A=3D
122 E. 1700 South=3D0A=3D
Provo, Utah  84606=3D0A=3D
USA
LABEL;DOM;WORK;PARCEL;POSTAL;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Robert R. =
Jueneman=3D0A=3D
PRV-F331=3D0A=3D
122 E. 1700 South=3D0A=3D
Provo, Utah  84606
TEL;HOME:1-801-765-4378
TEL;CELL:1-801-361-1410
TEL;PREF:1-801-861-7387, 1-800-453-1267
X-GWUSERID:BJUENEMAN
END:VCARD

--____UREWELMYLOIWKIZHBNCX____--

--____MGNPJNXVVBXFETIEVPHJ____
Content-type: application/x-pkcs7-signature; name="smime.p7s"
Content-transfer-encoding: base64
Content-disposition: attachment; filename="smime.p7s"
CONTENT-DESCRIPTION: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

--____MGNPJNXVVBXFETIEVPHJ____--

From: "Peter lewis" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: From Firewall to IPSec VPNs
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:52:19 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

Security services and protection mechanisms
IPv6 promises regarding IPSec
Certification infrastructure 
Standardization update
Case Studies: ISPs, carriers, private networks
AH and ESP protocols description
Possible future extensions and modifications of the IKE protocol
Complementarity between IPSec and firewalls
Global Site-to-Site IPSec VPN's with End-to-End SLA's
Managing widespread IPSEC virtual private networks
Solving IPSec VPNs scalability
Results of some interoperability tests
IPSec architectures and non-standardized aspects of IPSec
Adding IPSec VPN functions in an existing router network
Impact of fragmentation on the performance of IPSec coding

IPSEC 99 Conference
>From Firewall to IPSec VPNs

October 26, 27, 28, 29, 1999
Paris - France

More infos: www.upperside.fr/baipsec.htm

Sorry to post this message on the list.

Thanks

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 06:59:55 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

	Title		: Domain Security Services using S/MIME
	Author(s)	: T. Dean, W. Ottaway
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 07-Sep-99
	
This document describes how the S/MIME protocol can be processed and
generated by a number of components of a messaging system, such as
message transfer agents, guards and gateways to deliver security
services. These services are collectively referred to as 'Domain
Security Services'. The mechanisms described in this document are
designed to solve a number of interoperability problems and technical
limitations that arise when different security domains wish to
communicate securely - for example when two domains use incompatible
messaging technologies such as X.400 and SMTP/MIME. This document is
also applicable to organisations and enterprises that do not have
encryption or signing capabilities at the desktop, but wish to
interoperate securely using the S/MIME protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt".

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-smime-domsec-02.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:40:19 -0700
From: Lisa Repka <[email-masked]>
Organization: Netscape Communications Corporation
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Interesting test case
Sender: [email-masked]

Bob Jueneman wrote:
> 
> I'm curious to know whether anyone tried the test case, either with S/MIME v2 or v3 code.
> 
> Any takers?

v2 only (alas ;-) -- the way your message was presented it didn't
parse (via our mime parser anyway) as having an *internal* S/MIME
message, only an attached message and an attached signature (two
vcards, too) -- which we don't try to concatenate and verify -- inside
an outer S/MIME message, which we did (and which verified fine).

I can answer the question about a case where that did occur,
however.  We would show the outer message as verifying, as you
suggested it should.  The inner message gets its own verification,
which would fail.  Not sure if you're familiar with our UI,
but each message gets its own S/MIME icon displayed in the top
far right (across from the message's headers).  In the case
of a truly nested inner/outer message, each would have its own
icon with its own statement of validity.  In the particular
case you described, the outer message would show "good" and
the attached message would show "bad"; the inner message does
not contaminate the outer -- when the outer message is being
verified the inner stuff is nothing but data getting hashed.

[I have no energy for the discussion about the spoofability
of our UI, so please don't go there.  I'd be very happy to
hear practical suggestions for improvements to the UI, however,
if it can convey the same information, similarly succinctly,
and continues to work likewise for attachments which in turn
contain their own signatures.  Those were our constraints
going in, along with expecting most users to be unable to
handle any more S/MIME awareness than that a message is "good"
or a message is "bad".]

lisa

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Suggested change to PasswordRecipientInfo
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:17:03 (NZST)
Sender: [email-masked]

>So, if a shared secret is stored on a bunch of tokens (e.g., smartcards), 
>there out to be a way to carry something in the parameters of the 
>KeyDerivationAlgorithmIdentifier to allow the shared secret and the public 
>data to be combined to generate the KEK.  One could imagine a technique for 
>combining the shared secret and the public value similar to X9.42.  And, if 
>there is more than one shared secret (perhaps for different recipient groups), 
>then the protocol needs a way to identify which one should be used.

Uhh, I don't understand this comment - there's no public value/data being
conveyed.  What you're conveying is KEK( CEK ) and (optionally) the 
information required to turn a password into a KEK.  If by "public value" you 
mean the salt, then it's already being handled as part of the password->KEK
process specified in PKCS #5 v2.

>As I stated above, if there is more than one shared secret (perhaps for 
>different recipient groups), then the protocol needs a way to identify which 
>one should be used.

I can see your point, but I guess if there's any significant demand for it it
can be added later (ie in version n+1 add some sort of xxxID OPTIONAL field).
The reason I'm reluctant to add it at this point is that it's not at all clear
what form the ID should have (I'd really prefer to avoid the traditional 
OCTET STRING hole) and/or if there's a great need for it.  The main use for 
PWRI at the moment is for encrypting files (key files, stored email, whatever) 
for which there's only one "recipient" (ie the file owner, although calling 
that a recipient is probably stretching the term a bit.  I should probably add 
a comment on this to the draft).

Peter.

From: "Michael Hallgren" <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter Lipp" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mail Services
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:15:36 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

>> Sure is. I went to take a look. It seems to be exactly what I'm
>> looking for (up to possible licensing issues).
>Hope you like it...

I believe so ;)

>You might also want to take a look at our S/MIME-Mapper which might already
>do what you want. A new version is in preparation will offer more
>flexibility and GUI-configuration (also of trustsettings). I plan to put
the
>details on the upcoming version on the web next week.
Thanks. Seems promising for the project's needs.

By the way, being on an ietf related list... I feel somewhat uneasy going
into such a practical issue of
choice. Please bear with me, I just changed employer,... and was taken by
force by their needs. (I used
to work for a company w/o export problems (TSL) :)

Hope being able to return QforHints within shortly on this list.

mh

>Peter
>---------------------------------
>Dr. Peter Lipp
>IAIK, TU Graz
>Email [email-masked]
>Phone +43 316 873 5513
>Fax   +43 316 873 5510
>Web   http://jcewww.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at

From: "Michael Hallgren" <[email-masked]>
To: "Michael Probst" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mail Services
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:25:20 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi Michael

> I'm not completely sure what it really is you want to do, but I hope I'm
> soon going to send automatically created (content and addresses from DB,
> cert/keys from a .p12 file (according to PKCS 12)) S/MIME messages via a
> normal SMTP server.
> I'm using a full strength Java Cryptography Extension reimplementation
> and an S/MIME package available from:
>
> http://jcewww.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at
>
> ' hope this is helpful :)

Sure is. I went to take a look. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for
(up to possible licensing
issues).

Thanks

Cheers

mh

>
> Michael
>
>
> Michael Hallgren wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Might be somewhat out of track, but I'd appreciate to get a lead for a
> > decision ;)
> >
> > I'm reflecting on an SMTP service sending S/MIME encoded mail. The
public
> > cert's
> > should be retreived from a directory service and the mail generated by
an
> > automat
> > (upon stimuli) rather than a desktop mail client (no manual interaction,
> > that is).
> >
> > Now, I was tempted to make use of the SFL libraries, and implementing
the
> > service
> > over OSS. However, I'm living and working in France... ...
> >
> > So, I'm now reflecting on comercially offer's. What about the SIMS (Sun)
> > Entrust/PKI
> > couple. Has anyone sucessfully tried it out for some similar
implementation
> > ? Any
> > advice ?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > mh
> > --
> > Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr
> >
> >                     Always make mistakes.
> >
> >                             - E Dyson
>
> --
>
> PIRONET INTRANET AG
> Michael Probst - SBU Services
> Im Mediapark 5 - 50670 Cologne - Germany
> Tel.: +49 (0)221 454 3771 - Fax: +49 (0)221 454 3710
> mailto:[email-masked] - http://www.pironet.com
>

From: "Michael Hallgren" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Mail Services
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:39:23 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Might be somewhat out of track, but I'd appreciate to get a lead for a
decision ;)

I'm reflecting on an SMTP service sending S/MIME encoded mail. The public
cert's
should be retreived from a directory service and the mail generated by an
automat
(upon stimuli) rather than a desktop mail client (no manual interaction,
that is).

Now, I was tempted to make use of the SFL libraries, and implementing the
service
over OSS. However, I'm living and working in France... ...

So, I'm now reflecting on comercially offer's. What about the SIMS (Sun)
Entrust/PKI
couple. Has anyone sucessfully tried it out for some similar implementation
? Any
advice ?

Cheers

mh
--
Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr

                    Always make mistakes.

                            - E Dyson

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:29:28 -0400
To: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Suggested change to PasswordRecipientInfo
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

 >>I am a bit confused by your message.  You say that you want to add support
 >>for "a PIN-protected smart card or something similar."
 >>
 >>First, this does not seem like an appropriate used of password-based key
 >>management.  The only password seems to be the local one used to gain 
access
 >>to the KEK stored on the smart card.
 >
 >In retrospect the term "PasswordRecipientInfo" used in the draft wasn't a 
very
 >good one, with the derivation info optional it's really more like a
 >GeneralisedKEKRecipientInfo.  At the time the best I could come up with was
 >PW-RI.

I thought that the point was to add support for a CEK that was wrapped in a 
KEK (in your example, one that was derived from a password).  I think that 
is what the draft says.  So, if a shared secret is stored on a bunch of 
tokens (e.g., smartcards), there out to be a way to carry something in the 
parameters of the KeyDerivationAlgorithmIdentifier to allow the shared 
secret and the public data to be combined to generate the KEK.  One could 
imagine a technique for combining the shared secret and the public value 
similar to X9.42.  And, if there is more than one shared secret (perhaps 
for different recipient groups), then the protocol needs a way to identify 
which one should be used.

You are right about the PIN, it does not impact the protocol.  The PIN 
controls access to the shared secret.

 >>Second, if the KEK stored on the smart card has an identifier, then
 >>KEKRecipientInfo should work as already defined.
 >
 >I'm not sure what the format is for the KEK on the card, but I suspect it's
 >just a raw PIN-protected key (I imagine it's something like a PKCS #11
 >secret key object, or more likely just a 16-byte linear file).  In any case
 >it won't work with KEKRecipientInfo because it's only defined for RC2 and
 >3DES, you can't use it with IDEA unless you invent your own
 >AlgorithmIdentifier.

As I stated above, if there is more than one shared secret (perhaps for 
different recipient groups), then the protocol needs a way to identify 
which one should be used.

Russ

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:47:05 -0400
To: [email-masked]
From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Compressed data type for S/MIME
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

Peter:

Please draft the text needed to update the charter.  At least one of the 
Security Area Directors thinks that it is worth a try.

Russ

>Sender: "Marcus Leech" <[email-masked]>
>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:16:51 -0400
>From: "Marcus Leech" <[email-masked]>
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (X11; U; HP-UX B.10.20 9000/712)
>X-Accept-Language: en
>To: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked], "Marcus Leech" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Compressed data type for S/MIME
>
>Russ Housley wrote:
> >
> > Jeff & Marcus:
> >
> > Peter Gutmann has proposed an addition to the S/MIME charter to define a
> > MIME type for compression.  His reasoning is attached.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
>I don't have a problem with this--let's give it a whirl.
>
>--
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Marcus Leech                             Mail:   Dept 8M70, MS 012, FITZ
>Systems Security Architect               Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 
>9145
>Security and Internet Solutions          Fax:   (ESN) 395-1407  +1 613 765 
>1407
>Nortel Networks                          [email-masked]
>-----------------Expressed opinions are my own, not my employer's------