Subject: [Trigtran] mobile SCTP using TRIGTRAN

From: "Seok Joo Koh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:36:54 +0900

Hi, everyone,

My general impression on TRIGTRAN is as follows.

Some L2 triggers, if defined, will also be very useful for SCTP (RFC 2960)
as well as TCP/UDP.
As you know, the SCTP multi-homing feature enables SCTP transport session to
be used for seamless handover.
Some reference materials associated with mobile SCTP are shown in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sjkoh-mobile-sctp-handover-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sjkoh-mobile-sctp-mobileip-00.txt

More specifically, the L2 triggers in wireless networks can be used
for the mobile SCTP host to add and delete new and old IP addresses to and
from its SCTP association.

Actually, the SCTP/IP handover performance will severely depend on
whether any triggers can be supported or not in the network or systems.
Such triggers may be generated within the host system or by a TRIGTRAN
router.
This requirement is similar to the case of Fast MIPv6.

Accordingly, for each of the issues identified by the agenda of TRIGTRAN
BOF,

  - is an end-to-end solution sufficient,
    or do we really need help from the network?

   => If network can inform the IP address change to host by using triggers,
       it will be helpful for speed-up of SCTP handover

  - are explicit messages required?

   => Yes. Trigtran router needs to indicate the L2 event signal

  - can we agree on the list of canonical triggers?
  - can these triggers be generated by subnetwork technologies?

   => L2 triggers will severely depend on the access technologies.

  - can we agree on a list of reasonable responses?
  - who would use TRIGTRAN notifications? (OMA, SIP, etc.)?

   => SCTP (transport layer) can also use the TRIGTRAN notification

  - who would implement a reasonable TRIGTRAN specification?

   => I guess, Mobile equipments (gateways and terminals) will do so.

My conclusion is that the triggers will also be essential for realizing the
seamless IP handover,
regardless of FMIPv6 or mobile SCTP.

Thanks,

Seok Joo Koh

_______________________________________________
Trigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trigtran