Subject: Comments on dsx0BundleTable

From: Gary Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

David,

I have a few more comments/questions on the dsx0BundleTable.

1.  The dsx0BundleIndex attribute should have a MAX-ACCESS of
    not-accessible, since it is an auxiliary object and there is
    at least one other columnar object in the table that is
    accessible.  (See section 7.7 of RFC 1902 for details.)

    Note that changing its MAX-ACCESS to not-accessible would also
    require removing dsx0BundleIndex from the list of objects in
    the dsx0BundleConfigGroup.

2.  It is not clear at what point the dsx0BundleIfIndex attribute
    comes into existence nor at what point its value is assigned
    by the agent.  Given that its SYNTAX is InterfaceIndex, for
    which the value 0 is NOT valid, the agent must presumably pick
    a unique ifIndex value for it as it brings it into existence.

    So, the question is when does it come into existence?  Since
    the values createAndWait and notInService are not disallowed
    for the dsx0BundleRowStatus attribute, presumably the manager
    can create a dsx0BundleTable entry that is not active.  That
    means that the ds0Bundle's ifIndex has to be assigned whether
    the dsx0BundleRowStatus is active or notInService.

    Perhaps the simplest approach would be to explicitly disallow
    the manager to set dsx0BundleRowStatus to any value other than
    createAndGo and destroy.  That would eliminate the need to
    decide what it means to have a ds0Bundle interface exist while
    the dsx0BundleRowStatus corresponding to it is notInService.

    The proposed solution would involve adding a set of lines like
    the following:

    OBJECT dsx0BundleRowStatus
    SYNTAX  INTEGER {          -- subset of RowStatus
                active(1),
                createAndGo(4),
                destroy(6)
    }
    MIN-ACCESS  read-only
    DESCRIPTION
            "The agent is not required to support a SET
            operation to this object, and only three of
            the six enumerated values for the RowStatus
            textual convention need be supported,
            specifically: active(1), createAndGo(4),
            and destroy(6)".

    I would hope that someone that knows SMIv2 better than I do
    could help verify that that is a suitable way to work around
    this issue.  It does not solve the problem of what it might
    mean to have a notInService dsx0BundleTable entry, at least
    in terms of the existence of the ds0Bundle interface and its
    dsx0BundleIfIndex attribute value, but it at least allows an
    agent to not support the notInService case if it so chooses.

    Note that by making the MIN-ACCESS read-only it also explicitly
    allows an agent to support a fixed set of ds0Bundle interfaces
    that are always active.

That's all for now.  Any prognosis on the ETA for the next draft?

Regards,
Gary

 ______
| ///  |       TM   Gary Hanson                [email-masked]
|   ADC|Kentrox     14375 NW Science Park Dr.  503-641-3321 (FAX)
|______|            Portland, Oregon  97229    800-733-5511 x6333