Subject: draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds3-mib-06.txt

From: Dave Fowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:21:00 -0500

Please publish the enclosed document as an internet draft.

For the information of the trunk MIB WG, the following changes were
made:

Added dsx3Channelization to indicate whether or not the ds3 is
channelized
Added dsx3Ds1ForRemoteLoop to indicate which Ds1 gets a remote loopback
Added Security text

Thanks,
David

-- 
David Fowler                                   email:
[email-masked]
Newbridge Networks Corporation                 voice: (613) 599-3600 
ext.6559
600 March Rd, Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6  fax:   (613) 599-3619

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                     Definitions of Managed Objects
                     for the DS3/E3 Interface Type

                      Sun Jan 25 16:39:58 EST 1998

                   draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds3-mib-06.txt

                         David Fowler (editor)
                           Newbridge Networks
                          [email-masked]

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ds.internic.net (US East Coast), nic.nordu.net
   (Europe), ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast), or munnari.oz.au (Pacific
   Rim).

Abstract

   This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
   Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
   the Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects used for
   managing DS3 and E3 interfaces.  This document is a companion
   document with Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS0,
   DS1/E1/DS2/E2 and SONET/SDH Interface Types, rfcTBD [14], rfcTBD [6]
   and rfcTBD [7].

   This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is both compliant
   to the SNMPv2 SMI, and semantically identical to the peer SNMPv1
   definitions.

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.

   This document entirely replaces RFC 1407.

1.  The SNMPv2 Network Management Framework

   The SNMP Network Management Framework presently consists of three
   major components.  They are:

   o    the SMI, described in RFC 1902 [1] - the mechanisms used for
        describing and naming objects for the purpose of management.

   o    the MIB-II, STD 17, RFC 1213 [2] - the core set of managed
        objects for the Internet suite of protocols.

   o    the protocol, RFC 1157 [3] and/or RFC 1905 [4], - the protocol
        for accessing managed objects.

   The Framework permits new objects to be defined for the purpose of
   experimentation and evaluation.

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

2.  Object Definitions

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the subset of Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)
   defined in the SMI.  In particular, each object type is named by an
   OBJECT IDENTIFIER, an administratively assigned name.  The object
   type together with an object instance serves to uniquely identify a
   specific instantiation of the object.  For human convenience, we
   often use a textual string, termed the descriptor, to also refer to
   the object type.

2.1.  Changes from RFC1407

   This MIB obsoletes RFC1407.  The changes from RFC1407 are the
   following:

        (1)  The Fractional Table has been deprecated

        (2)  This document uses SMIv2

        (3)  Values are given for ifTable and ifXTable

        (4)  Example usage of ifStackTable is included

        (5)  dsx3IfIndex has been deprecated

        (6)  The definition of valid intervals has been clarified
             for the case where the agent proxied for other
             devices.  In particular, the treatment of missing
             intervals has been clarified.

        (7)  An inward loopback has been added.

        (8)  Additional lineStatus bits have been added for Near End
             in Unavailable Signal State, Carrier Equipment Out of
             Service, DS@ Payload AIS, and DS@ Performance Threshold

        (9)  A read-write line Length object has been added.

        (10) Added a lineStatus last change, trap and enabler.

        (11) dsx3CircuitIdentifier has been deprecated since the
             object ifPhysAddress is available for all levels
             through interface stacking.

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

        (12) Textual Conventions for statistics objects have
             been used.

        (13) A new object, dsx3LoopbackStatus, has been introduced
             to reflect the loopbacks established on a DS3/E3 interface
             and the source to the requests.  dsx3LoopbackConfig
             continues to be the desired loopback state while
             dsx3LoopbackStatus reflects the actual state.

        (14) A dual loopback has been added to allow the setting of
             an inward loopback and a line loopback at the same time.

        (15) An object has been added to indicated whether or not this
             is a channelized DS3/E3.

        (16) A new object has been added to indicate which DS1 is to
             set for remote loopback.

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

3.  Overview

   These objects are used when the particular media being used to
   realize an interface is a DS3/E3 interface.  At present, this applies
   to these values of the ifType variable in the Internet-standard MIB:

        ds3 (30)

   The DS3 definitions contained herein are based on the DS3
   specifications in ANSI T1.102-1987, ANSI T1.107-1988, ANSI T1.107a-
   1990, and ANSI T1.404-1989 [8,9,9a,10].  The E3 definitions contained
   herein are based on the E3 specifications in CCITT G.751 [12].

3.1.  Use of ifTable for DS3 Layer

   Only the ifGeneralGroup needs to be supported.

           ifTable Object    Use for DS3 Layer
======================================================================
           ifIndex           Interface index.

           ifDescr           See interfaces MIB [5]

           ifType            ds3(30)

           ifSpeed           Speed of line rate
                             DS3 - 44736000
                             E3  - 34368000

           ifPhysAddress     The value of the Circuit Identifier.
                             If no Circuit Identifier has been assigned
                             this object should have an octet string
                             with zero length.

           ifAdminStatus     See interfaces MIB [5]

           ifOperStatus      See interfaces MIB [5]

           ifLastChange      See interfaces MIB [5]

           ifName            See interfaces MIB [5]

           ifLinkUpDownTrapEnable   Set to enabled(1).

           ifHighSpeed       Speed of line in Mega-bits per second

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                             (either 45 or 34)

           ifConnectorPresent Set to true(1) normally, except for
                              cases such as DS3/E3 over AAL1/ATM where
                              false(2) is appropriate

3.2.  Usage Guidelines

3.2.1.  Usage of ifStackTable

   The objects dsx3IfIndex and dsx3LineIndex have been deprecated.
   These objects previously allowed a very special proxy situation to
   exist for Routers and CSUs. This section now describes how to use
   ifStackTable to represent this relationship.

   The paragraphs discussing dsx3IfIndex and dsx3LineIndex have been
   preserved in Appendix A for informational purposes.

   The ifStackTable is used in the proxy case to represent the
   assoication between pairs of interfaces, e.g. this DS3 is attached to
   that DS3.  This use is consistent with the use of the ifStackTable to
   show the assoication between various sub-layers of an interface.  In
   both cases entire PDUs are exchanged between the interface pairs - in
   the case of a DS3, entire DS3 frames are exchanged; in the case of
   PPP and HDLC, entire HDLC frames are exchanged.  This usage is not
   meant to suggest the use of the ifStackTable to represent Time
   Division Multiplexing (TDM) connections in general.

   External&Internal interface scenario: the SNMP Agent resides on a
   host external from the device supporting DS3/E3 interfaces (e.g., a
   router). The Agent represents both the host and the DS3/E3 device.

   Example:

   A shelf full of CSUs connected to a Router. An SNMP Agent residing on
   the router proxies for itself and the CSU. The router has also an
   Ethernet interface:

         +-----+
   |     |     |
   |     |     |               +---------------------+
   |E    |     |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#A | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |t    |  R  |---------------+ - - - - -  - - -  - +------>

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   |h    |     |               |                     |
   |e    |  O  |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#B | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |r    |     |---------------+ - - - - - - - - - - +------>
   |n    |  U  |               |                     |
   |e    |     |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#C | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |t    |  T  |---------------+ - - - -- -- - - - - +------>
   |     |     |               |                     |
   |-----|  E  |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#D | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |     |     |---------------+ -  - - - -- - - - - +------>
   |     |  R  |               |_____________________|
   |     |     |
   |     +-----+

   The assignment of the index values could for example be:

           ifIndex  Description
           1        Ethernet
           2        Line#A Router
           3        Line#B Router
           4        Line#C Router
           5        Line#D Router
           6        Line#A CSU Router
           7        Line#B CSU Router
           8        Line#C CSU Router
           9        Line#D CSU Router
           10       Line#A CSU Network
           11       Line#B CSU Network
           12       Line#C CSU Network
           13       Line#D CSU Network

   The ifStackTable is then used to show the relationships between the
   various DS3 interfaces.

           ifStackTable Entries

           HigherLayer   LowerLayer
           2             6
           3             7
           4             8
           5             9
           6             10
           7             11
           8             12
           9             13

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   If the CSU shelf is managed by itself by a local SNMP Agent, the
   situation would be identical, except the Ethernet and the 4 router
   interfaces are deleted.  Interfaces would also be numbered from 1 to
   8.

           ifIndex  Description
           1        Line#A CSU Router
           2        Line#B CSU Router
           3        Line#C CSU Router
           4        Line#D CSU Router
           5        Line#A CSU Network
           6        Line#B CSU Network
           7        Line#C CSU Network
           8        Line#D CSU Network

           ifStackTable Entries

           HigherLayer   LowerLayer
           1             5
           2             6
           3             7
           4             8

3.2.2.  Usage of Loopbacks   This section discusses the behaviour of
objects related to loopbacks.

The object dsx3LoopbackConfig represents the desired state of loopbacks
on this interface.  Using this object a Manager can request:
    LineLoopback
    PayloadLoopback (if ESF framing)
    InwardLoopback
    DualLoopback (Line + Inward)
    NoLoopback

The remote end can also request lookbacks either through the FDL channel
if ESF or inband if D4.  The loopbacks that can be request this way are:
    LineLoopback
    PayloadLoopback (if ESF framing)
    NoLoopback

To model the current state of loopbacks on a DS3 interface, the object
dsx3LoopbackStatus defines which loopback is currently applies to an
interface.  This objects, which is a bitmap, will have bits turned on
which reflect the currently active loopbacks on the interface as well as
the source of those loopbacks.

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 8]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

The following restrictions/rules apply to loopbacks:

The far end cannot undo loopbacks set by a manager.

A manager can undo loopbacks set by the far end.

Both a line loopback and an inward loopback can be set at the same time.
Only these two loopbacks can co-exist and either one may be set by the
manager or the far end.  A LineLoopback request from the far end is
incremental to an existing Inward loopback established by a manager.
When a NoLoopback is received from the far end in this case, the
InwardLoopback remains in place.

3.3.  Objectives of this MIB Module

   There are numerous things that could be included in a MIB for DS3/E3
   signals:  the management of multiplexors, CSUs, DSUs, and the like.
   The intent of this document is to facilitate the common management of
   all devices with DS3/E3 interfaces.  As such, a design decision was
   made up front to very closely align the MIB with the set of objects
   that can generally be read from DS3/E3 devices that are currently
   deployed.

3.4.  DS3/E3 Terminology

   The terminology used in this document to describe error conditions on
   a DS3 interface as monitored by a DS3 device are based on the late
   but not final draft of what became the ANSI T1.231 standard [11].  If
   the definition in this document does not match the definition in the
   ANSI T1.231 document, the implementer should follow the definition
   described in this document.

3.4.1.  Error Events

     Bipolar Violation (BPV) Error Event
          A bipolar violation error event, for B3ZS(HDB3)-coded signals,
          is the occurrence of a pulse of the same polarity as the
          previous pulse without being part of the zero substitution
          code, B3ZS(HDB3).  For B3ZS(HDB3)-coded signals, a bipolar
          violation error event may also include other error patterns
          such as:  three(four) or more consecutive zeros and incorrect
          polarity. (See T1.231 section 7.1.1.1.1)

     Excessive Zeros (EXZ) Error Event

Expires July 1998                                               [Page 9]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          An EXZ is the occurrence of any zero string length equal to or
          greater than 3 for B3ZS, or greater than 4 for HDB3.  (See
          T1.231 section 7.1.1.1.2)

     Line Coding Violation (LCV) Error Event
          This parameter is a count of both BPVs and EXZs occurring over
          the accumulation period.  An EXZ increments the LCV by one
          regardless of the length of the zero string. (Also known as
          CV-L.  See T1.231 section 7.4.1.1)

     P-bit Coding Violation (PCV) Error Event
          For all DS3 applications, a coding violation error event is a
          P-bit Parity Error event.  A P-bit Parity Error event is the
          occurrence of a received P-bit code on the DS3 M-frame that is
          not identical to the corresponding locally- calculated code.
          (See T1.231 section 7.1.1.2.1)

     C-bit Coding Violation (CCV) Error Event
          For C-bit Parity and SYNTRAN DS3 applications, this is the
          count of coding violations reported via the C-bits.  For C-bit
          Parity, it is a count of CP-bit parity errors occurring in the
          accumulation interval.  For SYNTRAN, it is a count of CRC-9
          errors occurring in the accumulation interval. (See T1.231
          section 7.1.1.2.2)

3.4.2.  Performance Parameters

   All performance parameters are accumulated in fifteen minute
   intervals and up to 96 intervals (24 hours worth) are kept by an
   agent.  Fewer than 96 intervals of data will be available if the
   agent has been restarted within the last 24 hours.  In addition,
   there is a rolling 24-hour total of each performance parameter.

   There is no requirement for an agent to ensure fixed relationship
   between the start of a fifteen minute interval and any wall clock;
   however some agents may align the fifteen minute intervals with
   quarter hours.

   Performance parameters are of types PerfCurrentCount,
   PerfIntervalCount and PerfTotalCount.  These textual conventions are
   all Gauge32, and they are used because it is possible for these
   objects to decrease.  Objects may decrease when Unavailable Seconds
   occurs across a fifteen minutes interval boundary. See Unavailable
   Seconds discussion later in this section.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 10]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

     Line Errored Seconds (LES)
          A Line Errored Second is a second in which one or more CV
          occurred OR one or more LOS defects.  (Also known as ES-L. See
          T1.231 section 7.4.1.2)

     P-bit Errored Seconds (PES)
          An PES is a second with one or more PCVs OR one or more Out of
          Frame defects OR a detected incoming AIS. This gauge is not
          incremented when UASs are counted.  (Also known as ESP-P. See
          T1.231 section 7.4.2.2)

     P-bit Severely Errored Seconds (PSES)
          A PSES is a second with 44 or more PCVs OR one or more Out of
          Frame defects OR a detected incoming AIS. This gauge is not
          incremented when UASs are counted.  (Also known as SESP-P. See
          T1.231 section 7.4.2.5)

     C-bit Errored Seconds (CES)
          An CES is a second with one or more CCVs OR one or more Out of
          Frame defects OR a detected incoming AIS.  This count is only
          for the SYNTRAN and C-bit Parity DS3 applications. This gauge
          is not incremented when UASs are counted. (Also known as
          ESCP-P. See T1.231 section 7.4.2.2)

     C-bit Severely Errored Seconds (CSES)
          A CSES is a second with 44 or more CCVs OR one or more Out of
          Frame defects OR a detected incoming AIS.  This count is only
          for the SYNTRAN and C-bit Parity DS3 applications.  This gauge
          is not incremented when UASs are counted. (Also known as
          SESCP-P. See T1.231 section 7.4.2.5)

     Severely Errored Framing Seconds (SEFS)
          A SEFS is a second with one or more Out of Frame defects OR a
          detected incoming AIS. This item is not incremented during
          unavailable seconds.  (Also known as SAS-P. See T1.231 section
          7.4.2.6)

     Unavailable Seconds (UAS)
          UAS are calculated by counting the number of seconds that the
          interface is unavailable.  The DS3 interface is said to be
          unavailable from the onset of 10 contiguous PSESs, or the
          onset of the condition leading to a failure (see Failure
          States).  If the condition leading to the failure was
          immediately preceded by one or more contiguous PSESs, then the
          DS3 interface unavailability starts from the onset of these

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 11]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          PSESs.  Once unavailable, and if no failure is present, the
          DS3 interface becomes available at the onset of 10 contiguous
          seconds with no PSESs.  Once unavailable, and if a failure is
          present, the DS3 interface becomes available at the onset of
          10 contiguous seconds with no PSESs, if the failure clearing
          time is less than or equal to 10 seconds.  If the failure
          clearing time is more than 10 seconds, the DS3 interface
          becomes available at the onset of 10 contiguous seconds with
          no PSESs, or the onset period leading to the successful
          clearing condition, whichever occurs later. With respect to
          the DS3 error counts, all counters are incremented while the
          DS3 interface is deemed available.  While the interface is
          deemed unavailable, the only count that is incremented is
          UASs.

          Note that this definition implies that the agent cannot
          determine until after a ten second interval has passed whether
          a given one-second interval belongs to available or
          unavailable time.  If the agent chooses to update the various
          performance statistics in real time then it must be prepared
          to retroactively reduce the PES, PSES, CES, and CSES counts by
          10 and increase the UAS count by 10 when it determines that
          available time has been entered.  It must also be prepared to
          adjust the PCV, CCV, and SEFS count as necessary since these
          parameters are not accumulated during unavailable time.  It
          must be similarly prepared to retroactively decrease the UAS
          count by 10 and increase the PES, CES, PCV, and CCV counts as
          necessary upon entering available time.  A special case exists
          when the 10 second period leading to available or unavailable
          time crosses a 900 second statistics window boundary, as the
          foregoing description implies that the PCV, CCV, PES, CES,
          PSES, CSEC, SEFS, and UAS counts for the PREVIOUS interval
          must be adjusted.  In this case successive GETs of the
          affected dsx3IntervalPSESs and dsx3IntervalUASs objects will
          return differing values if the first GET occurs during the
          first few seconds of the window.

          The agent may instead choose to delay updates to the various
          statistics by 10 seconds in order to avoid retroactive
          adjustments to the counters.  A way to do this is sketched in
          Appendix B.

          In any case, a linkDown trap shall be sent only after the
          agent has determined for certain that the unavailable state
          has been entered, but the time on the trap will be that of the

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 12]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          first UAS (i.e., 10 seconds earlier).  A linkUp trap shall be
          handled similarly.

          According to ANSI T1.231 unavailable time begins at the
          _onset_ of 10 contiguous severely errored seconds -- that is,
          unavailable time starts with the _first_ of the 10 contiguous
          SESs.  Also, while an interface is deemed unavailable all
          counters for that interface are frozen except for the UAS
          count.  It follows that an implementation which strictly
          complies with this standard must _not_ increment any counters
          other than the UAS count -- even temporarily -- as a result of
          anything that happens during those 10 seconds.  Since changes
          in the signal state lag the data to which they apply by 10
          seconds, an ANSI-compliant implementation must pass the the
          one-second statistics through a 10-second delay line prior to
          updating any counters.  That can be done by performing the
          following steps at the end of each one second interval.

   i)   Read near/far end CV counter and alarm status flags from the
        hardware.

   ii)  Accumulate the CV counts for the preceding second and
        compare them to the ES and SES threshold for the layer
        in question.  Update the signal state and shift the
        one-second CV counts and ES/SES flags into the 10-element
        delay line.  Note that far-end one-second statistics are
        to be flagged as "absent" during any second in which there
        is an incoming defect at the layer in question or at any
        lower layer.

   iii) Update the current interval statistics using the signal
        state from the _previous_ update cycle and the one-second
        CV counts and ES/SES flags shifted out of the 10-element
        delay line.

   This approach is further described in Appendix B.

3.4.3.  Performance Defects

     Failure States:
          The Remote Alarm Indication (RAI) failure, in SYNTRAN
          applications, is declared after detecting the Yellow Alarm
          Signal on the alarm channel.  See ANSI T1.107a-1990 [9a]. The
          Remote Alarm Indication failure, in C-bit Parity DS3

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 13]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          applications, is declared as soon as the presence of either
          one or two alarm signals are detected on the Far End Alarm
          Channel.  See [9].  The Remote Alarm Indication failure may
          also be declared after detecting the far-end SEF/AIS defect
          (aka yellow).  The Remote Alarm Indication failure is cleared
          as soon as the presence of the any of the above alarms are
          removed.

          Also, the incoming failure state is declared when a defect
          persists for at least 2-10 seconds.  The defects are the
          following:  Loss of Signal (LOS), an Out of Frame (OOF) or an
          incoming Alarm Indication Signal (AIS).  The Failure State is
          cleared when the defect is absent for less than or equal to 20
          seconds.

     Far End SEF/AIS defect (aka yellow)
          A Far End SEF/AIS defect is the occurrence of the two X-bits
          in a M-frame set to zero.  The Far End SEF/AIS defect is
          terminated when the two X-bits in a M-frame are set to one.
          (Also known as SASCP-PFE. See T1.231 section 7.4.4.2.6)

     Out of Frame (OOF) defect
          A DS3 OOF defect is detected when any three or more errors in
          sixteen or fewer consecutive F-bits occur within a DS3 M-
          frame.  An OOF defect may also be called a Severely Errored
          Frame (SEF) defect.  An OOF defect is cleared when reframe
          occurs.  A DS3 Loss of Frame (LOF) failure is declared when
          the DS3 OOF defect is consistent for 2 to 10 seconds.  The DS3
          OOF defect ends when reframe occurs.  The DS3 LOF failure is
          cleared when the DS3 OOF defect is absent for 10 to 20
          seconds. (See T1.231 section 7.1.2.2.1)

          An E3 OOF defect is detected when four consecutive frame
          alignment signals have been incorrectly received in there
          predicted positions in an E3 signal. E3 frame alignment occurs
          when the presence of three consecutive frame alignment signals
          have been detected.

                                                  Loss of Signal (LOS)
                                                  defect
          The DS3 LOS defect is declared upon observing 175 +/- 75
          contiguous pulse positions with no pulses of either positive
          or negative polarity.  The DS3 LOS defect is terminated upon
          observing an average pulse density of at least 33% over a
          period of 175 +/- 75 contiguous pulse positions starting with

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 14]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          the receipt of a pulse. (See T1.231 section 7.1.2.1.1)

     Alarm Indication Signal (AIS) defect
          The DS3 AIS is framed with "stuck stuffing."  This implies
          that it has a valid M-subframe alignments bits, M-frame
          alignment bits, and P bits.  The information bits are set to a
          1010... sequence, starting with a one (1) after each M-
          subframe alignment bit, M-frame alignment bit, X bit, P bit,
          and C bit.  The C bits are all set to zero giving what is
          called "stuck stuffing."  The X bits are set to one. The DS3
          AIS defect is declared after DS3 AIS is present in contiguous
          M-frames for a time equal to or greater than T, where 0.2 ms
          <= T <= 100 ms.  The DS3 AIS defect is terminated after AIS is
          absent in contiguous M-frames for a time equal to or greater
          than T.  (See T1.231 section 7.1.2.2.3)

          The E3 binary content of the AIS is nominally a continuous
          stream of ones.  AIS detection and the application of
          consequent actions, should be completed within a time limit of
          1 ms.

3.4.4.  Other Terms
          Circuit Identifier
            This is a character string specified by the circuit
            vendor, and is useful when communicating with the vendor
            during the troubleshooting process.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 15]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

4.  Object Definitions

          DS3-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

          IMPORTS
               MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE,
               NOTIFICATION-TYPE, transmission         FROM SNMPv2-SMI
               DisplayString, TimeStamp, TruthValue    FROM SNMPv2-TC
               MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP,
               NOTIFICATION-GROUP                      FROM SNMPv2-CONF
               InterfaceIndex                          FROM IF-MIB
               PerfCurrentCount, PerfIntervalCount,
               PerfTotalCount                          FROM PerfHist-TC-MIB;

          ds3 MODULE-IDENTITY
              LAST-UPDATED "9801252100Z"
              ORGANIZATION "IETF Trunk MIB Working Group"
              CONTACT-INFO
                "        David Fowler

                 Postal: Newbridge Networks Corporation
                         600 March Road
                         Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6

                         Tel: +1 613 591 3600
                         Fax: +1 613 599 3669

                 E-mail: [email-masked]"
              DESCRIPTION
                   "The is the MIB module that describes
                    DS3 and E3 interfaces objects."

              ::= { transmission 30 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 16]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- The DS3/E3 Near End Group

          -- The DS3/E3 Near End Group consists of four tables:
          --    DS3/E3 Configuration
          --    DS3/E3 Current
          --    DS3/E3 Interval
          --    DS3/E3 Total

          -- the DS3/E3 Configuration Table

          dsx3ConfigTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3ConfigEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3/E3 Configuration table."
               ::= { ds3 5 }

          dsx3ConfigEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3ConfigEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3/E3 Configuration table."
               INDEX   { dsx3LineIndex }
               ::= { dsx3ConfigTable 1 }

          Dsx3ConfigEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3LineIndex                        InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3IfIndex                          InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3TimeElapsed                      INTEGER,
                   dsx3ValidIntervals                   INTEGER,
                   dsx3LineType                         INTEGER,
                   dsx3LineCoding                       INTEGER,
                   dsx3SendCode                         INTEGER,
                   dsx3CircuitIdentifier                DisplayString,
                   dsx3LoopbackConfig                   INTEGER,
                   dsx3LineStatus                       INTEGER,
                   dsx3TransmitClockSource              INTEGER,
                   dsx3InvalidIntervals                 INTEGER,
                   dsx3LineLength                       INTEGER,
                   dsx3LineStatusLastChange             TimeStamp,
                   dsx3LineStatusChangeTrapEnable       INTEGER,
                   dsx3LoopbackStatus                   INTEGER,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 17]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                   dsx3Channelization                   INTEGER,
                   dsx3Ds1ForRemoteLoop                 INTEGER
          }

          dsx3LineIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This object should be made equal to ifIndex.  The
                      next paragraph describes its previous usage.
                      Making the object equal to ifIndex allows propoer
                      use of ifStackTable.

                      Previously, this object was the identifier of a
                      DS3/E3 Interface on a managed device.  If there is
                      an ifEntry that is directly associated with this
                      and only this DS3/E3 interface, it should have the
                      same value as ifIndex.  Otherwise, number the
                      dsx3LineIndices with an unique identifier
                      following the rules of choosing a number that is
                      greater than ifNumber and numbering the inside
                      interfaces (e.g., equipment side) with even
                      numbers and outside interfaces (e.g, network side)
                      with odd numbers."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 1 }

          dsx3IfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  deprecated
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This value for this object is equal to the value
                      of ifIndex from the Interfaces table of MIB II
                      (RFC 1213)."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 2 }

          dsx3TimeElapsed OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..899)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of seconds that have elapsed since the
                      beginning of the near end current error-
                      measurement period."

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 18]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 3 }

          dsx3ValidIntervals OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..96)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of previous near end intervals for
                      which valid data was collected.  The value will be
                      96 unless the interface was brought online within
                      the last 24 hours, in which case the value will be
                      the number of complete 15 minute near end
                      intervals since the interface has been online.  In
                      the case where the agent is a proxy, it is
                      possible that some intervals are unavailable.  In
                      this case, this interval is the maximum interval
                      number for which valid data is available."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 4 }

          dsx3LineType OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
                          dsx3other(1),
                          dsx3M23(2),
                          dsx3SYNTRAN(3),
                          dsx3CbitParity(4),
                          dsx3ClearChannel(5),
                          e3other(6),
                          e3Framed(7),
                          e3Plcp(8)
                      }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable indicates the variety of DS3 C-bit
                      or E3 application implementing this interface. The
                      type of interface affects the interpretation of
                      the usage and error statistics.  The rate of DS3
                      is 44.736 Mbps and E3 is 34.368 Mbps.  The
                      dsx3ClearChannel value means that the C-bits are
                      not used except for sending/receiving AIS.
                      The values, in sequence, describe:

                      TITLE:            SPECIFICATION:
                      dsx3M23            ANSI T1.107-1988 [9]
                      dsx3SYNTRAN        ANSI T1.107-1988 [9]

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 19]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      dsx3CbitParity     ANSI T1.107a-1990 [9a]
                      dsx3ClearChannel   ANSI T1.102-1987 [8]
                      e3Framed           CCITT G.751 [12]
                      e3Plcp             ETSI T/NA(91)18 [13]."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 5 }

          dsx3LineCoding OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
                          dsx3Other(1),
                          dsx3B3ZS(2),
                          e3HDB3(3)
                      }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable describes the variety of Zero Code
                      Suppression used on this interface, which in turn
                      affects a number of its characteristics.

                      dsx3B3ZS and e3HDB3 refer to the use of specified
                      patterns of normal bits and bipolar violations
                      which are used to replace sequences of zero bits
                      of a specified length."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 6 }

          dsx3SendCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
                         dsx3SendNoCode(1),
                         dsx3SendLineCode(2),
                         dsx3SendPayloadCode(3),
                         dsx3SendResetCode(4),
                         dsx3SendDS1LoopCode(5),
                         dsx3SendTestPattern(6)
                         }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable indicates what type of code is
                      being sent across the DS3/E3 interface by the
                      device.  (These are optional for E3 interfaces.)
                      Setting this variable causes the interface to
                      begin sending the code requested.
                      The values mean:

                         dsx3SendNoCode

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 20]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                             sending looped or normal data

                         dsx3SendLineCode
                             sending a request for a line loopback

                         dsx3SendPayloadCode
                             sending a request for a payload loopback
                             (i.e., all DS1/E1s in a DS3/E3 frame)

                         dsx3SendResetCode
                             sending a loopback deactivation request

                         dsx3SendDS1LoopCode
                             requesting to loopback a particular DS1/E1
                             within a DS3/E3 frame.  The DS1/E1 is
                             indicated in dsx3Ds1ForRemoteLoop.

                         dsx3SendTestPattern
                             sending a test pattern."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 7 }

          dsx3CircuitIdentifier OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..255))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable contains the transmission vendor's
                      circuit identifier, for the purpose of
                      facilitating troubleshooting."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 8 }

          dsx3LoopbackConfig OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER {
                           dsx3NoLoop(1),
                           dsx3PayloadLoop(2),
                           dsx3LineLoop(3),
                           dsx3OtherLoop(4),
                           dsx3InwardLoop(5),
                           dsx3DualLoop(6)
                         }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                    "This variable represents the desired loopback
                    configuration of the DS3/E3 interface.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 21]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                    The values mean:

                    dsx3NoLoop
                      Not in the loopback state.  A device that is
                      not capable of performing a loopback on
                      the interface shall always return this as
                      its value.

                    dsx3PayloadLoop
                      The received signal at this interface is looped
                      through the device.  Typically the received signal
                      is looped back for retransmission after it has
                      passed through the device's framing function.

                    dsx3LineLoop
                      The received signal at this interface does not
                      go through the device (minimum penetration) but
                      is looped back out.

                    dsx3OtherLoop
                      Loopbacks that are not defined here.

                    dsx3InwardLoop
                      The sent signal at this interface is looped back
                      through the device.

                    dsx3DualLoop
                      Both dsx1LineLoop and dsx1InwardLoop will be
                      active simultaneously."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 9 }

          dsx3LineStatus OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..4095)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable indicates the Line Status of the
                      interface.  It contains loopback state information
                      and failure state information.  The dsx3LineStatus
                      is a bit map represented as a sum, therefore, it
                      can represent multiple failures and a loopback
                      (see dsx3LoopbackConfig object for the type of
                      loopback) simultaneously.  The dsx3NoAlarm must be
                      set if and only if no other flag is set.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 22]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      If the dsx3loopbackState bit is set, the loopback
                      in effect can be determined from the
                      dsx3loopbackConfig object.
            The various bit positions are:
             1     dsx3NoAlarm         No alarm present
             2     dsx3RcvRAIFailure   Receiving Yellow/Remote
                                       Alarm Indication
             4     dsx3XmitRAIAlarm    Transmitting Yellow/Remote
                                       Alarm Indication
             8     dsx3RcvAIS          Receiving AIS failure state
            16     dsx3XmitAIS         Transmitting AIS
            32     dsx3LOF             Receiving LOF failure state
            64     dsx3LOS             Receiving LOS failure state
           128     dsx3LoopbackState   Looping the received signal
           256     dsx3RcvTestCode     Receiving a Test Pattern
           512     dsx3OtherFailure    any line status not defined
                                       here
          1024     dsx3UnavailSigState Near End in Unavailable Signal
                                       State
          2048     dsx3NetEquipOOS     Carrier Equipment Out of Service"
          ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 10 }

     dsx3TransmitClockSource OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX  INTEGER {
                     loopTiming(1),
                     localTiming(2),
                     throughTiming(3)
                 }
          MAX-ACCESS  read-write
          STATUS  current
          DESCRIPTION
                 "The source of Transmit Clock.

                 loopTiming indicates that the recovered receive clock
                 is used as the transmit clock.

                 localTiming indicates that a local clock source is used
                 or that an external clock is attached to the box
                 containing the interface.

                 throughTiming indicates that transmit clock is derived
                 from the recovered receive clock of another DS3
                 interface."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 11 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 23]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3InvalidIntervals OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..96)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of intervals for which no valid data
                      is available."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 12 }

          dsx3LineLength OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..64000)
               UNITS "meters"
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The length of the ds3 line in meters.  This
                      object provides information for line build out
                      circuitry if it exists and can use this object to
                      adjust the line build out."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 13 }

          dsx3LineStatusLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  TimeStamp
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The value of MIB II's sysUpTime object at the
                      time this DS3/E3 entered its current line status
                      state.  If the current state was entered prior to
                      the last re-initialization of the proxy-agent,
                      then this object contains a zero value."
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 14 }

          dsx3LineStatusChangeTrapEnable  OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                              enabled(1),
                              disabled(2)
                           }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS      current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "Indicates whether dsx3LineStatusChange traps
                      should be generated for this interface."
               DEFVAL { disabled }
               ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 15 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 24]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3LoopbackStatus  OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..127)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS      current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable represents the current state of the
                      loopback on the DS3 interface.  It contains
                      information about loopbacks established by a
                      manager and remotely from the far end.

                      The dsx3LoopbackStatus is a bit map represented as
                      a sum, therefore is can represent multiple
                      loopbacks simultaneously.

                      The various bit positions are:
                       1  dsx3NoLoopback
                       2  dsx3NearEndPayloadLoopback
                       4  dsx3NearEndLineLoopback
                       8  dsx3NearEndOtherLoopback
                      16  dsx3NearEndInwardLoopback
                      32  dsx3FarEndPayloadLoopback
                      64  dsx3FarEndLineLoopback"

          ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 16 }

          dsx3Channelization  OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                              enabled(1),
                              disabled(2)
                           }
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS      current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "Indicates whether this ds3/e3 is channelized or
                      unchannelized.  The value of enabled indicates
                      channelized.  "
               DEFVAL { enabled } ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 17 }

          dsx3Ds1ForRemoteLoop  OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..29)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS      current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "Indicates which ds1/e1 on this ds3/e3 will be
                      indicated in the remote ds1 loopback request.  A

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 25]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      value of 0 means no DS1 will be looped.  A value
                      of 29 means all ds1s/e1s will be looped."
          ::= { dsx3ConfigEntry 18 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 26]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- the DS3/E3 Current Table

          dsx3CurrentTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3CurrentEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3/E3 current table contains various
                      statistics being collected for the current 15
                      minute interval."
               ::= { ds3 6 }

          dsx3CurrentEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3CurrentEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3/E3 Current table."
               INDEX   { dsx3CurrentIndex }
               ::= { dsx3CurrentTable 1 }

          Dsx3CurrentEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3CurrentIndex           InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3CurrentPESs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentPSESs           PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentSEFSs           PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentUASs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentLCVs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentPCVs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentLESs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentCCVs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentCESs            PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3CurrentCSESs           PerfCurrentCount
              }

          dsx3CurrentIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the
                      DS3/E3 interface to which this entry is
                      applicable.  The interface identified by a

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 27]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      particular value of this index is the same
                      interface as identified by the same value an
                      dsx3LineIndex object instance."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 1 }

          dsx3CurrentPESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3 interface in
                      the current 15 minute interval.  noSuchInstance
                      will be returned if no data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 2 }

          dsx3CurrentPSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Severely Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the current 15 minute interval.
                      noSuchInstance will be returned if no data is
                      available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 3 }

          dsx3CurrentSEFSs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Severely Errored Framing Seconds, encountered by a
                      DS3/E3 interface in the current 15 minute
                      interval.  noSuchInstance will be returned if no
                      data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 4 }

          dsx3CurrentUASs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 28]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Unavailable Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the current 15 minute interval.
                      noSuchInstance will be returned if no data is
                      available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 5 }

          dsx3CurrentLCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Line
                      Coding Violations encountered by a DS3/E3
                      interface in the current 15 minute interval.
                      noSuchInstance will be returned if no data is
                      available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 6 }

          dsx3CurrentPCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Coding Violations, encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the current 15 minute interval.  noSuchInstance
                      will be returned if no data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 7 }

          dsx3CurrentLESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of Line Errored Seconds encountered by
                      a DS3/E3 interface in the current 15 minute
                      interval.  noSuchInstance will be returned if no
                      data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 8 }

          dsx3CurrentCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 29]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Coding Violations encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in the current 15 minute
                      interval.  noSuchInstance will be returned if no
                      data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 9 }

          dsx3CurrentCESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Errored Seconds encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in the current 15 minute
                      interval.  noSuchInstance will be returned if no
                      data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 10 }

          dsx3CurrentCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Severely Errored Seconds
                      encountered by a DS3 interface in the current 15
                      minute interval.  noSuchInstance will be returned
                      if no data is available."
               ::= { dsx3CurrentEntry 11 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 30]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- the DS3/E3 Interval Table

          dsx3IntervalTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3IntervalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3/E3 Interval Table contains various
                      statistics collected by each DS3/E3 Interface over
                      the previous 24 hours of operation.  The past 24
                      hours are broken into 96 completed 15 minute
                      intervals."

               ::= { ds3 7 }

          dsx3IntervalEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3IntervalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3/E3 Interval table."
               INDEX   { dsx3IntervalIndex, dsx3IntervalNumber }
               ::= { dsx3IntervalTable 1 }

          Dsx3IntervalEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3IntervalIndex           InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3IntervalNumber          INTEGER,
                   dsx3IntervalPESs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalPSESs           PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalSEFSs           PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalUASs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalLCVs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalPCVs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalLESs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalCCVs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalCESs            PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalCSESs           PerfIntervalCount,
                   dsx3IntervalValidData       TruthValue
               }

          dsx3IntervalIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 31]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the
                      DS3/E3 interface to which this entry is
                      applicable.  The interface identified by a
                      particular value of this index is the same
                      interface as identified by the same value an
                      dsx3LineIndex object instance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 1 }

          dsx3IntervalNumber OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..96)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "A number between 1 and 96, where 1 is the most
                      recently completed 15 minute interval and 96 is
                      the 15 minutes interval completed 23 hours and 45
                      minutes prior to interval 1."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 2 }

          dsx3IntervalPESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3 interface in
                      one of the previous 96, individual 15 minute,
                      intervals. In the case where the agent is a proxy
                      and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 3 }

          dsx3IntervalPSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Severely Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                      minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
                      a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 4 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 32]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3IntervalSEFSs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Severely Errored Framing Seconds, encountered by a
                      DS3/E3 interface in one of the previous 96,
                      individual 15 minute, intervals. In the case where
                      the agent is a proxy and valid data is not
                      available, return noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 5 }

          dsx3IntervalUASs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Unavailable Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                      minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
                      a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance. This object may decrease if the
                      occurance of unavailable seconds occurs across an
                      inteval boundary."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 6 }

          dsx3IntervalLCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Line
                      Coding Violations encountered by a DS3/E3
                      interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                      minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
                      a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 7 }

          dsx3IntervalPCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 33]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Coding Violations, encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in one of the previous 96, individual 15 minute,
                      intervals. In the case where the agent is a proxy
                      and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 8 }

          dsx3IntervalLESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of Line Errored  Seconds  (BPVs  or
                      illegal  zero  sequences) encountered by a DS3/E3
                      interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                      minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
                      a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 9 }

          dsx3IntervalCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Coding Violations encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in one of the previous 96,
                      individual 15 minute, intervals. In the case where
                      the agent is a proxy and valid data is not
                      available, return noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 10 }

          dsx3IntervalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Errored Seconds encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in one of the previous 96,
                      individual 15 minute, intervals. In the case where
                      the agent is a proxy and valid data is not
                      available, return noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 11 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 34]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3IntervalCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Severely Errored Seconds
                      encountered by a DS3 interface in one of the
                      previous 96, individual 15 minute, intervals. In
                      the case where the agent is a proxy and valid data
                      is not available, return noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 12 }

          dsx3IntervalValidData OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  TruthValue
               MAX-ACCESS read-only
               STATUS current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable indicates if there is valid data
                      for this interval."
               ::= { dsx3IntervalEntry 13 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 35]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- the DS3/E3 Total

          dsx3TotalTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3TotalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3/E3 Total Table contains the cumulative
                      sum of the various statistics for the 24 hour
                      period preceding the current interval."
               ::= { ds3 8 }

          dsx3TotalEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3TotalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3/E3 Total table."
              INDEX   { dsx3TotalIndex }
               ::= { dsx3TotalTable 1 }

          Dsx3TotalEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3TotalIndex      InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3TotalPESs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalPSESs      PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalSEFSs      PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalUASs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalLCVs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalPCVs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalLESs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalCCVs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalCESs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3TotalCSESs      PerfTotalCount
               }

          dsx3TotalIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the
                      DS3/E3 interface to which this entry is
                      applicable.  The interface identified by a
                      particular value of this index is the same

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 36]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      interface as identified by the same value an
                      dsx3LineIndex object instance."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 1 }

          dsx3TotalPESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3 interface in
                      the previous 24 hour interval. Invalid 15 minute
                      intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 2 }

          dsx3TotalPSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Severely Errored Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 3 }

          dsx3TotalSEFSs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Severely Errored Framing Seconds, encountered by a
                      DS3/E3 interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 4 }

          dsx3TotalUASs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of
                      Unavailable Seconds, encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the previous 24 hour interval.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 37]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 5 }

          dsx3TotalLCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Line
                      Coding Violations encountered by a DS3/E3
                      interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 6 }

          dsx3TotalPCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of P-bit
                      Coding Violations, encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the previous 24 hour interval. Invalid 15
                      minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 7 }

          dsx3TotalLESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of Line Errored  Seconds  (BPVs  or
                      illegal  zero  sequences) encountered by a DS3/E3
                      interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 8 }

          dsx3TotalCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Coding Violations encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in the previous 24 hour
                      interval. Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 9 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 38]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3TotalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Errored Seconds encountered
                      by a DS3 interface in the previous 24 hour
                      interval. Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 10 }

          dsx3TotalCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of C-bit Severely Errored Seconds
                      encountered by a DS3 interface in the previous 24
                      hour interval. Invalid 15 minute intervals count
                      as 0."
               ::= { dsx3TotalEntry 11 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 39]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- The DS3 Far End Group

          -- The DS3 Far End Group consists of four tables :
          --   DS3 Far End Configuration
          --   DS3 Far End Current
          --   DS3 Far End Interval
          --   DS3 Far End Total

          -- The DS3 Far End Configuration Table

          dsx3FarEndConfigTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3FarEndConfigEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3 Far End Configuration Table contains
                      configuration information reported in the C-bits
                      from the remote end."
               ::= { ds3 9 }

          dsx3FarEndConfigEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3FarEndConfigEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3 Far End Configuration table."
              INDEX   { dsx3FarEndLineIndex }
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigTable 1 }

          Dsx3FarEndConfigEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3FarEndLineIndex          InterfaceIndex,
                  dsx3FarEndEquipCode           DisplayString,
                  dsx3FarEndLocationIDCode      DisplayString,
                  dsx3FarEndFrameIDCode         DisplayString,
                  dsx3FarEndUnitCode            DisplayString,
                  dsx3FarEndFacilityIDCode      DisplayString
               }

          dsx3FarEndLineIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 40]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the DS3
                      interface to which this entry is applicable.  The
                      interface identified by a particular value of this
                      index is the same interface as identified by the
                      same value an dsx3LineIndex object instance."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 1 }

          dsx3FarEndEquipCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..10))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This is the Far End Equipment Identification code
                      that describes the specific piece of equipment.
                      It is sent within the Path Identification
                      Message."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 2 }

          dsx3FarEndLocationIDCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..11))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This is the Far End Location Identification code
                      that describes the specific location of the
                      equipment.  It is sent within the Path
                      Identification Message."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 3 }

          dsx3FarEndFrameIDCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..10))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This is the Far End Frame Identification code
                      that identifies where the equipment is located
                      within a building at a given location.  It is sent
                      within the Path Identification Message."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 4 }

          dsx3FarEndUnitCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..6))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 41]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      "This is the Far End code that identifies the
                      equipment location within a bay.  It is sent
                      within the Path Identification Message."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 5 }

          dsx3FarEndFacilityIDCode OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (0..38))
               MAX-ACCESS  read-write
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This code identifies a specific Far End DS3 path.
                      It is sent within the Path Identification
                      Message."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndConfigEntry 6 }

          -- The DS3 Far End Current

          dsx3FarEndCurrentTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3 Far End Current table contains various
                      statistics being collected for the current 15
                      minute interval.  The statistics are collected
                      from the far end block error code within the C-
                      bits."
               ::= { ds3 10 }

          dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3 Far End Current table."
               INDEX   { dsx3FarEndCurrentIndex }
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentTable 1 }

          Dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3FarEndCurrentIndex        InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3FarEndTimeElapsed         INTEGER,
                   dsx3FarEndValidIntervals      INTEGER,
                   dsx3FarEndCurrentCESs         PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3FarEndCurrentCSESs        PerfCurrentCount,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 42]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                   dsx3FarEndCurrentCCVs         PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3FarEndCurrentUASs         PerfCurrentCount,
                   dsx3FarEndInvalidIntervals    INTEGER
              }

           dsx3FarEndCurrentIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the DS3
                      interface to which this entry is applicable.  The
                      interface identified by a particular value of this
                      index is identical to the interface identified by
                      the same value of dsx3LineIndex."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 1 }

          dsx3FarEndTimeElapsed OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..899)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of seconds that have elapsed since the
                      beginning of the far end current error-measurement
                      period."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 2 }

          dsx3FarEndValidIntervals OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..96)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of previous far end intervals for
                      which valid data was collected.  The value will be
                      96 unless the interface was brought online within
                      the last 24 hours, in which case the value will be
                      the number of complete 15 minute far end intervals
                      since the interface has been online."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 3 }

          dsx3FarEndCurrentCESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 43]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      "The counter associated with the number of Far Far
                      End C-bit Errored Seconds encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the current 15 minute interval.
                      noSuchInstance will be returned if no data is
                      available."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 4 }

          dsx3FarEndCurrentCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Severely Errored Seconds encountered by a
                      DS3 interface in the current 15 minute interval.
                      noSuchInstance will be returned if no data is
                      available."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 5 }

          dsx3FarEndCurrentCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Coding Violations reported via the far end
                      block error count encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the current 15 minute interval.  noSuchInstance
                      will be returned if no data is available."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 6 }

          dsx3FarEndCurrentUASs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfCurrentCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      unavailable seconds encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the current 15 minute interval.  noSuchInstance
                      will be returned if no data is available."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 7 }

          dsx3FarEndInvalidIntervals OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..96)
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 44]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The number of intervals for which no valid data
                      is available."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndCurrentEntry 8 }

          -- The DS3 Far End Interval Table

          dsx3FarEndIntervalTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3 Far End Interval Table contains various
                      statistics collected by each DS3 interface over
                      the previous 24 hours of operation.  The past 24
                      hours are broken into 96 completed 15 minute
                      intervals."
               ::= { ds3 11 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3 Far End Interval table."
               INDEX   { dsx3FarEndIntervalIndex,
                         dsx3FarEndIntervalNumber }
               ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalTable 1 }

          Dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalIndex      InterfaceIndex,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalNumber     INTEGER,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalCESs       PerfIntervalCount,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalCSESs      PerfIntervalCount,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalCCVs       PerfIntervalCount,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalUASs       PerfIntervalCount,
                    dsx3FarEndIntervalValidData  TruthValue
              }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 45]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the DS3
                      interface to which this entry is applicable.  The
                      interface identified by a particular value of this
                      index is identical to the interface identified by
                      the same value of dsx3LineIndex."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 1 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalNumber OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..96)
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A number between 1 and 96, where 1 is the most
                      recently completed 15 minute interval and 96 is
                      the 15 minutes interval completed 23 hours and 45
                      minutes prior to interval 1."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 2 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Errored Seconds encountered by a DS3
                      interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                      minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
                      a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
             ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 3 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Severely Errored Seconds encountered by a
                      DS3 interface in one of the previous 96,
                      individual 15 minute, intervals. In the case where
                      the agent is a proxy and valid data is not
                      available, return noSuchInstance."
             ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 4 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 46]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3FarEndIntervalCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Coding Violations reported via the far end
                      block error count encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in one of the previous 96, individual 15 minute,
                      intervals. In the case where the agent is a proxy
                      and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 5 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalUASs OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      unavailable seconds encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in one of the previous 96, individual 15 minute,
                      intervals. In the case where the agent is a proxy
                      and valid data is not available, return
                      noSuchInstance."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 6 }

          dsx3FarEndIntervalValidData OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  TruthValue
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "This variable indicates if there is valid data
                      for this interval."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 7 }

          -- The DS3 Far End Total

          dsx3FarEndTotalTable OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3FarEndTotalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The DS3 Far End Total Table contains the

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 47]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      cumulative sum of the various statistics for the
                      24 hour period preceding the current interval."
               ::= { ds3 12 }

          dsx3FarEndTotalEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3FarEndTotalEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "An entry in the DS3 Far End Total table."
               INDEX   { dsx3FarEndTotalIndex }
               ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalTable 1 }

          Dsx3FarEndTotalEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3FarEndTotalIndex       InterfaceIndex,
                   dsx3FarEndTotalCESs        PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3FarEndTotalCSESs       PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3FarEndTotalCCVs        PerfTotalCount,
                   dsx3FarEndTotalUASs        PerfTotalCount
               }

          dsx3FarEndTotalIndex OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  InterfaceIndex
               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
               STATUS  current
               DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies the DS3
                      interface to which this entry is applicable.  The
                      interface identified by a particular value of this
                      index is identical to the interface identified by
                      the same value of dsx3LineIndex."
               ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalEntry 1 }

          dsx3FarEndTotalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Errored Seconds encountered by a DS3
                      interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalEntry 2 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 48]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3FarEndTotalCSESs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Severely Errored Seconds encountered by a
                      DS3 interface in the previous 24 hour interval.
                      Invalid 15 minute intervals count as 0."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalEntry 3 }

          dsx3FarEndTotalCCVs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      C-bit Coding Violations reported via the far end
                      block error count encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the previous 24 hour interval. Invalid 15
                      minute intervals count as 0."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalEntry 4 }

          dsx3FarEndTotalUASs OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  PerfTotalCount
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                      unavailable seconds encountered by a DS3 interface
                      in the previous 24 hour interval.  Invalid 15
                      minute intervals count as 0."
              ::= { dsx3FarEndTotalEntry 5 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 49]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          -- the DS3/E3 Fractional Table

          -- This table is deprecated.

          dsx3FracTable OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  SEQUENCE OF Dsx3FracEntry
              MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
              STATUS  deprecated
              DESCRIPTION
                      "This table is deprecated in favour of using
                      ifStackTable.

                      Implementation of this table was optional.  It was
                      designed for those systems dividing a DS3/E3 into
                      channels containing different data streams that
                      are of local interest.

                      The DS3/E3 fractional table identifies which
                      DS3/E3 channels associated with a CSU are being
                      used to support a logical interface, i.e., an
                      entry in the interfaces table from the Internet-
                      standard MIB.

                      For example, consider a DS3 device with 4 high
                      speed links carrying router traffic, a feed for
                      voice, a feed for video, and a synchronous channel
                      for a non-routed protocol.  We might describe the
                      allocation of channels, in the dsx3FracTable, as
                      follows:
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 1 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.15 = 4
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 2 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.16 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 3 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.17 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 4 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.18 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 5 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.19 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 6 = 3  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.20 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 7 = 4  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.21 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 8 = 4  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.22 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2. 9 = 4  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.23 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2.10 = 4  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.24 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2.11 = 4  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.25 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2.12 = 5  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.26 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2.13 = 5  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.27 = 6
                      dsx3FracIfIndex.2.14 = 5  dsx3FracIfIndex.2.28 = 6
                      For dsx3M23, dsx3 SYNTRAN, dsx3CbitParity, and
                      dsx3ClearChannel  there are 28 legal channels,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 50]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      numbered 1 throug h 28.

                      For e3Framed there are 16 legal channels, numbered
                      1 through 16.  The channels (1..16) correspond
                      directly to the equivalently numbered time-slots."
               ::= { ds3 13 }

          dsx3FracEntry OBJECT-TYPE
               SYNTAX  Dsx3FracEntry
               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
               STATUS  deprecated
               DESCRIPTION
                              "An entry in the DS3 Fractional table."
              INDEX   { dsx3FracIndex, dsx3FracNumber }
              ::= { dsx3FracTable 1 }

          Dsx3FracEntry ::=
               SEQUENCE {
                   dsx3FracIndex     INTEGER,
                   dsx3FracNumber    INTEGER,
                   dsx3FracIfIndex   INTEGER
              }

          dsx3FracIndex OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..'7fffffff'h)
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  deprecated
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The index value which uniquely identifies  the
                      DS3  interface  to which this entry is applicable
                      The interface identified by a  particular value
                      of  this  index is the same interface as
                      identified by the same value  an  dsx3LineIndex
                      object instance."
             ::= { dsx3FracEntry 1 }

          dsx3FracNumber OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..31)
              MAX-ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  deprecated
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The channel number for this entry."
             ::= { dsx3FracEntry 2 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 51]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

          dsx3FracIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  INTEGER (1..'7fffffff'h)
              MAX-ACCESS  read-write
              STATUS  deprecated
              DESCRIPTION
                      "An index value that uniquely identifies an
                      interface.  The interface identified by a
                      particular value of this index is the same
                      interface as  identified by the same value an
                      ifIndex object instance. If no interface is
                      currently using a channel, the value should be
                      zero.  If a single interface occupies more  than
                      one  time slot,  that ifIndex value will be found
                      in multiple time slots."
             ::= { dsx3FracEntry 3 }

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 52]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

           -- Ds3 TRAPS

          ds3Traps OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ds3 15 }

          dsx3LineStatusChange NOTIFICATION-TYPE
              OBJECTS { dsx3LineStatus,
                        dsx3LineStatusLastChange }
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A dsx3LineStatusChange trap is sent when the
                      value of an instance dsx1LineStatus changes. It
                      can be utilized by an NMS to trigger polls.  When
                      the line status change results in a lower level
                      line status change (i.e. ds1), then no traps for
                      the lower level are sent."
                         ::= { ds3Traps 0 1 }

                      -- conformance information

                      ds3Conformance OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ds3 14 }

                      ds3Groups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {
                      ds3Conformance 1 } ds3Compliances OBJECT
                      IDENTIFIER ::= { ds3Conformance 2 }

                      -- compliance statements

                      ds3Compliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
                          STATUS  current
                          DESCRIPTION
                                  "The compliance statement for DS3/E3
                                  interfaces."
              MODULE  -- this module
                  MANDATORY-GROUPS { ds3NearEndConfigGroup,
                                     ds3NearEndStatisticsGroup }

                  GROUP       ds3FarEndGroup
                  DESCRIPTION
                      "Implementation of this group is optional for all
                      systems that attach to a DS3 Interface.  However,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 53]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      only C-bit Parity and SYNTRAN DS3 applications
                      have the capability (option) of providing this
                      information."
                  GROUP       ds3NearEndOptionalConfigGroup
                  DESCRIPTION
                      "Implementation of this group is optional for all
                      systems that attach to a DS3 interface."
              ::= { ds3Compliances 1 }

          -- units of conformance

          ds3NearEndConfigGroup  OBJECT-GROUP
              OBJECTS { dsx3LineIndex,
                        dsx3TimeElapsed,
                        dsx3ValidIntervals,
                        dsx3LineType,
                        dsx3LineCoding,
                        dsx3SendCode,
                        dsx3CircuitIdentifier,
                        dsx3LoopbackConfig,
                        dsx3LineStatus,
                        dsx3TransmitClockSource,
                        dsx3InvalidIntervals,
                        dsx3LineLength,
                        dsx3LoopbackStatus,
                        dsx3Channelization,
                        dsx3Ds1ForRemoteLoop }
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A collection of objects providing configuration
                      information applicable to all DS3/E3 interfaces."
              ::= { ds3Groups 1 }

          ds3NearEndStatisticsGroup OBJECT-GROUP
              OBJECTS { dsx3CurrentIndex,
                        dsx3CurrentPESs,
                        dsx3CurrentPSESs,
                        dsx3CurrentSEFSs,
                        dsx3CurrentUASs,
                        dsx3CurrentLCVs,
                        dsx3CurrentPCVs,
                        dsx3CurrentLESs,
                        dsx3CurrentCCVs,
                        dsx3CurrentCESs,
                        dsx3CurrentCSESs,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 54]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                        dsx3IntervalIndex,
                        dsx3IntervalNumber,
                        dsx3IntervalPESs,
                        dsx3IntervalPSESs,
                        dsx3IntervalSEFSs,
                        dsx3IntervalUASs,
                        dsx3IntervalLCVs,
                        dsx3IntervalPCVs,
                        dsx3IntervalLESs,
                        dsx3IntervalCCVs,
                        dsx3IntervalCESs,
                        dsx3IntervalCSESs,
                        dsx3IntervalValidData,
                        dsx3TotalIndex,
                        dsx3TotalPESs,
                        dsx3TotalPSESs,
                        dsx3TotalSEFSs,
                        dsx3TotalUASs,
                        dsx3TotalLCVs,
                        dsx3TotalPCVs,
                        dsx3TotalLESs,
                        dsx3TotalCCVs,
                        dsx3TotalCESs,
                        dsx3TotalCSESs }
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A collection of objects providing statistics
                      information applicable to all DS3/E3 interfaces."
              ::= { ds3Groups 2 }

          ds3FarEndGroup  OBJECT-GROUP
              OBJECTS { dsx3FarEndLineIndex,
                        dsx3FarEndEquipCode,
                        dsx3FarEndLocationIDCode,
                        dsx3FarEndFrameIDCode,
                        dsx3FarEndUnitCode,
                        dsx3FarEndFacilityIDCode,
                        dsx3FarEndCurrentIndex,
                        dsx3FarEndTimeElapsed,
                        dsx3FarEndValidIntervals,
                        dsx3FarEndCurrentCESs,
                        dsx3FarEndCurrentCSESs,
                        dsx3FarEndCurrentCCVs,
                        dsx3FarEndCurrentUASs,
                        dsx3FarEndInvalidIntervals,

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 55]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                        dsx3FarEndIntervalIndex,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalNumber,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalCESs,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalCSESs,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalCCVs,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalUASs,
                        dsx3FarEndIntervalValidData,
                        dsx3FarEndTotalIndex,
                        dsx3FarEndTotalCESs,
                        dsx3FarEndTotalCSESs,
                        dsx3FarEndTotalCCVs,
                        dsx3FarEndTotalUASs }
              STATUS  current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A collection of objects providing remote
                      configuration and statistics information
                      applicable to C-bit Parity and SYNTRAN DS3
                      interfaces."
              ::= { ds3Groups 3 }

          ds3DeprecatedGroup OBJECT-GROUP
              OBJECTS { dsx3IfIndex,
                        dsx3FracIndex,
                        dsx3FracNumber,
                        dsx3FracIfIndex }
              STATUS  deprecated
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A collection of obsolete objects that may be
                      implemented for backwards compatibility."
              ::= { ds3Groups 4 }

          ds3NearEndOptionalConfigGroup OBJECT-GROUP
              OBJECTS { dsx3LineStatusLastChange,
                        dsx3LineStatusChangeTrapEnable }

              STATUS    current
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A collection of objects that may be implemented
                      on DS3/E3 interfaces."
              ::= { ds3Groups 5 }

          ds3NearEndOptionalTrapGroup NOTIFICATION-GROUP
              NOTIFICATIONS { dsx3LineStatusChange }
              STATUS    current
              DESCRIPTION

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 56]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

                      "A collection of notifications that may be
                      implemented on DS3/E3 interfaces."
              ::= { ds3Groups 6 }

          END

5.  Appendix A - Use of dsx3IfIndex and dsx3LineIndex

   This Appendix exists to document the previous use if dsx3IfIndex and
   dsx3LineIndex and to clarify the relationship of dsx3LineIndex as
   defined in rfc1407 with the dsx3LineIndex as defined in this
   document.

   The following shows the old and new definitions and the relationship:

   [New Definition]: "This object should be made equal to ifIndex.  The
   next paragraph describes its previous usage.  Making the object equal
   to ifIndex allows proper use of ifStackTable.

   [Old Definition]: "this object is the identifier of a DS3/E3
   Interface on a managed device.  If there is an ifEntry that is
   directly associated with this and only this DS3/E3 interface, it
   should have the same value as ifIndex.  Otherwise, number the
   dsx3LineIndices with an unique identifier following the rules of
   choosing a number that is greater than ifNumber and numbering the
   inside interfaces (e.g., equipment side) with even numbers and
   outside interfaces (e.g, network side) with odd numbers."

   When the "Old Definition" was created, my understanding was that it
   was described this way to allow a manager to treat the value _as if_
   it were and ifIndex, i.e. the value would either be:  1) an ifIndex
   value or 2) a value that was guaranteed to be different from all
   valid ifIndex values.

   The new definition is a subset of that definition, i.e. the value is
   always an ifIndex value.

   The following is Section 3.1 from rfc1407:

   Different physical configurations for the support of SNMP with DS3/E3
   equipment exist. To accommodate these scenarios, two different
   indices for DS3/E3 interfaces are introduced in this MIB.  These
   indices are dsx3IfIndex and dsx3LineIndex.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 57]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   External interface scenario: the SNMP Agent represents all managed
   DS3/E3 lines as external interfaces (for example, an Agent residing
   on the device supporting DS3/E3 interfaces directly):

   For this scenario, all interfaces are assigned an integer value equal
   to ifIndex, and the following applies:

      ifIndex=dsx3IfIndex=dsx3LineIndex for all interfaces.

   The dsx3IfIndex column of the DS3/E3 Configuration table relates each
   DS3/E3 interface to its corresponding interface (ifIndex) in the
   Internet-standard MIB (MIB-II STD 17, RFC1213).

   External&Internal interface scenario: the SNMP Agents resides on an
   host external from the device supporting DS3/E3 interfaces (e.g., a
   router). The Agent represents both the host and the DS3/E3 device.
   The index dsx3LineIndex is used to not only represent the DS3/E3
   interfaces external from the host/DS3/E3-device combination, but also
   the DS3/E3 interfaces connecting the host and the DS3/E3 device.  The
   index dsx3IfIndex is always equal to ifIndex.

   Example:

   A shelf full of CSUs connected to a Router. An SNMP Agent residing on
   the router proxies for itself and the CSU. The router has also an
   Ethernet interface:

         +-----+
   |     |     |
   |     |     |               +---------------------+
   |E    |     |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#A | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |t    |  R  |---------------+ - - - - -  - - -  - +------>
   |h    |     |               |                     |
   |e    |  O  |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#B | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |r    |     |---------------+ - - - - - - - - - - +------>
   |n    |  U  |               |                     |
   |e    |     |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#C | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |t    |  T  |---------------+ - - - -- -- - - - - +------>
   |     |     |               |                     |
   |-----|  E  |  44.736 MBPS  |   ds3 M13    Line#D | ds3 C-bit Parity
   |     |     |---------------+ -  - - - -- - - - - +------>
   |     |  R  |               |_____________________|
   |     |     |
   |     +-----+

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 58]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   The assignment of the index values could for example be:

           ifIndex (= dsx3IfIndex)                     dsx3LineIndex

                   1                   NA                  NA (Ethernet)
                   2      Line#A   Router Side             6
                   2      Line#A   Network Side            7
                   3      Line#B   Router Side             8
                   3      Line#B   Network Side            9
                   4      Line#C   Router Side            10
                   4      Line#C   Network Side           11
                   5      Line#D   Router Side            12
                   5      Line#D   Network Side           13

   For this example, ifNumber is equal to 5.  Note the
   following description of dsx3LineIndex:
   the dsx3LineIndex identifies a DS3/E3 Interface on a managed
   device.  If there is an ifEntry that is directly associated with
   this and only this DS3/E3 interface, it should have the same value
   as ifIndex.  Otherwise, number the dsx3LineIndices with an unique
   identifier following the rules of choosing a number greater
   than ifNumber and numbering inside interfaces (e.g., equipment
   side) with even numbers and outside interfaces
   (e.g, network side) with odd numbers.

   If the CSU shelf is managed by itself by a local SNMP Agent,
   the situation would be:

           ifIndex (= dsx3IfIndex)                      dsx3LineIndex

                   1      Line#A     Network Side            1
                   2      Line#A     RouterSide              2
                   3      Line#B     Network Side            3
                   4      Line#B     RouterSide              4
                   5      Line#C     Network Side            5
                   6      Line#C     Router Side             6
                   7      Line#D     Network Side            7
                   8      Line#D     Router Side             8

6.  Appendix B - The delay approach to Unavialable Seconds.
This procedure is illustrated below for a DS3 C-Bit parity application.
Similar rules would apply for other interfaces covered by this MIB.  The
procedure guarantees that the statistical counters are correctly updated

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 59]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

at all times, although they lag real time by 10 seconds.  At the end of
each 15 minutes interval the current interval counts are transferred to
the  most recent interval entry and each interval is shifted up by one
position, with the oldest being discarded if necessary in order to make
room.  The current interval counts then start over from zero.  Note,
however, that the signal state calculation does not start afresh at each
interval boundary;  rather, signal state information is retained across
interval boundaries.
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|           READ COUNTERS & STATUS INFO FROM HARDWARE            |
|                                                                |
|BPV EXZ LOS     PCV CCV AIS SEF OOF LOF         FEBE  RAI       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
  |   |   |       |   |   |   |   |   |            |    |
  |   |   |       |   |   |   |   |   |            |    |
  V   V   V       V   V   V   V   V   V            V    V
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| ACCUM ONE-SEC STATS, CHK ERR THRESHOLDS, & UPDT SIGNAL STATE   |
|                                                                |
|<------------- NEAR END ---------------->| |<---- FAR END ----->|
|                                                                |
|LCV LES PCV CCV PES CES PSES CSES SEFS A/U CCV CES CSES SEFS A/U|
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  V   V   V   V   V   V    V    V    V   |   V   V    V    V   |
+--------------------------------------+ | +-----------------+ |
|            ONE-SEC DELAY             | | | ONE-SEC DELAY   | |
|              (1 OF 10)               | | |   (1 OF 10)     | |
+--------------------------------------+ | +-----------------+ |
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  /   /   /   /   /   /    /    /    /   /   /   /    /    /   /
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  V   V   V   V   V   V    V    V    V   |   V   V    V    V   |
+--------------------------------------+ | +-----------------+ |
|            ONE-SEC DELAY             | | | ONE-SEC DELAY   | |
|             (10 OF 10)               | | |  (10 OF 10)     | |
+--------------------------------------+ | +-----------------+ |
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  |   |   |   |   |   |    |    |    |   |   |   |    |    |   |
  V   V   V   V   V   V    V    V    V   V   V   V    V    V   V
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|               UPDATE STATISTICS COUNTERS                       |
|                                                                |
|<------------- NEAR END ---------------->| |<---- FAR END ----->|

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 60]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

|                                                                |
|LCV LES PCV CCV PES CES PSES CSES SEFS UAS CCV CES CSES SEFS UAS|
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
Note that if such a procedure is adopted there is no current interval
data for the first ten seconds after a system comes up.  noSuchInstance
must be returned if a management station attempts to access the current
interval counters during this time.

It is an implementation-specific matter whether an agent assumes that
the initial state of the interface is available or unavailable.

7.  Acknowledgments

   This document was produced by the Trunk MIB Working Group

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 61]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

8.  References

      [1] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
          S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information for Version 2
          of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1902,
          January 1996.

      [2] McCloghrie, K., and M. Rose, Editors, "Management
          Information Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based
          internets: MIB-II", STD 17, RFC 1213, Hughes LAN Systems,
          Performance Systems International, March 1991.

      [3] Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin. " A Simple
          Network Management Protocol (SNMP)", STD 15, RFC 1157, SNMP
          Research, Performance Systems International, MIT Lab for
          Computer Science, May 1990.

      [4] SNMPv2 Working Group, Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and
          S. Waldbusser, "Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple
          Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

      [5] McCloghrie, K. and F. Kastenholz, "Evolution of the
          Interfaces Group of MIB-II", draft-ietf-ifmib-mib-03.txt,
          Cisco, FTP Software, January 1994.

      [6] Fowler D., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS1 and
          E1 Interface Types", draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds1-mib-03.txt,
          Newbridge Networks Corporation, January 1993.

      [7] Brown, T., and Tesink, K., "Definitions of Managed Objects
          for the SONET/SDH Interface Type", RFC1595, Bell Communications
          Research, March 1994.

      [8] American National Standard for telecommunications - digital
          hierarchy - electrical interfaces, ANSI T1.102- 1987.

      [9] American National Standard for telecommunications - digital
          hierarchy - formats specification, ANSI T1.107- 1988.

     [9a] ANSI T1.107a-1990.

     [10] American National Standard for telecommunications - Carrier-to-
          Customer Installation - DS3 Metallic Interface,
          ANSI T1.404-1989.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 62]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

     [11] American National Standard for Telecommunications --
          Layer 1 In-Service Digital Transmission Performance Monitoring
          T1.231, Sept 1993.

     [12] CCITT - Digital Multiplex Equipment Operating at the Third
          Order Bit Rate of 34 368 Kbit/s and the Forth Order Bit Rate
          of 139 264 Kbit/s and Using Positive Justification, G.751

     [13] European Telecommunications Standards Institute --
          ETS "34M" -- Metropolitan Area Network Physical Convergence
          Layer Procedure for 34.368 Megabits per Second,
          T/NA(91)18, May 1991.

     [14] Fowler, D., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ds0 and
          DS0Bundle Interface Types", draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds0-mib-02.txt,
          Newbridge Networks, March 1996.

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 63]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

9.  Security Considerations

   This MIB adds no security issues that are not raised by SNMP itself.
   As a Network Management Protocol, SNMP is capable of changing the
   configuration of a system, of denial of service attacks through
   requiring the agent to respond to its messages, and displaying values
   of system counters and configuration settings in the clear where an
   adversary might read them. This, however, is not in itself a threat:
   this is the function of the protocol, but could be misused. Such
   misuse can be avoided or minimized through SNMP Security.

10.  Author's Address

      David Fowler
      Newbridge Networks
      600 March Road
      Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6

      Phone: (613) 599-3600, ext 6559

      EMail: [email-masked]

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 64]

INTERNET-DRAFT                 DS3/E3 MIB                   January 1998

   Table of Contents

   1 The SNMPv2 Network Management Framework ......................    2
   2 Object Definitions ...........................................    3
   2.1 Changes from RFC1407 .......................................    3
   3 Overview .....................................................    5
   3.1 Use of ifTable for DS3 Layer ...............................    5
   3.2 Usage Guidelines ...........................................    6
   3.2.1 Usage of ifStackTable ....................................    6
   3.2.2 Usage of Loopbacks .......................................    8
   3.3 Objectives of this MIB Module ..............................    9
   3.4 DS3/E3 Terminology .........................................    9
   3.4.1 Error Events .............................................    9
   3.4.2 Performance Parameters ...................................   10
   3.4.3 Performance Defects ......................................   13
   3.4.4 Other Terms ..............................................   15
   4 Object Definitions ...........................................   16
   4.1 The DS3/E3 Near End Group ..................................   17
   4.1.1 The DS3/E3 Configuration Table ...........................   17
   4.1.2 The DS3/E3 Current Table .................................   27
   4.1.3 The DS3/E3 Interval Table ................................   31
   4.1.4 The DS3/E3 Total .........................................   36
   4.2 The DS3 Far End Group ......................................   40
   4.2.1 The DS3 Far End Configuration ............................   40
   4.2.2 The DS3 Far End Current ..................................   42
   4.2.3 The DS3 Far End Interval Table ...........................   45
   4.2.4 The DS3 Far End Total ....................................   47
   4.3 The DS3/E3 Fractional Table ................................   50
   4.4 The DS3 Trap Group .........................................   53
   4.5 Conformance Groups .........................................   53
   5 Appendix A - Use of dsx3IfIndex and dsx3LineIndex ............   57
   6 Appendix B - The delay approach to Unavialable Seconds.  .....   59
   7 Acknowledgments ..............................................   61
   8 References ...................................................   62
   9 Security Considerations ......................................   64
   10 Author's Address ............................................   64

Expires July 1998                                              [Page 65]