Subject: DS1/DS3 to be updated again....

From: Dave Fowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:30:05 -0500

Randy's comment on the security section will cause another churn in the
ds1/ds3 drafts.

Here's what I plan to put for security for DS1.  I will put a similar
section in ds3.

   This MIB adds no security issues that are not raised by SNMP itself.
   As a Network Management Protocol, SNMP is capable of changing the
   configuration of a system, of denial of service attacks through
   requiring the agent to respond to its messages, and displaying values
   of system counters and configuration settings in the clear where an
   adversary might read them. This, however, is not in itself a threat:
   this is the function of the protocol, but could be misused. Such
   misuse can be avoided or minimized through SNMP Security.

   Setting any of the following objects to an inappropriate value can
cause loss of 
   traffic.  The definition of inappropriate varies for each object.  In
the case of
   dsx1LineType, for example, both ends of a ds1/e1 must have the same
value in order for
   traffic to flow.  In the case of dsx1SendCode and dsx1LoopbackConfig,
for another
   example, traffic may stop transmitting when particular loopbacks are
applied.

   dsx1LineType
   dsx1LineCoding
   dsx1SendCode
   dsx1LoopbackConfig
   dsx1SignalMode
   dsx1TransmitClockSource
   dsx1Fdl
   dsx1LineLength

   Setting the following object is mischevious, but not harmful to
traffic 
   dsx1CircuitIdentifier

   Setting the following object can cause an increase in the number of
traps
   received by the network management station.
   dsx1LineStatusChangeTrabEnable

The following additional change will go in (as already discussed on the
list):
setting dsx1/dsx3CircuitIdentifier to current

The following changes are proposed:
Clarify the behaviour of interval statistics objects when the interface
is down.
Rename dsx1ds1Number to dsx1ds1ChannelNumber (to be consistent with ds0)

Clarify the use of this MIB for DS2/E2:
How is channelization handled?  Currently the MIB is silent on this
issue.  I plan to
clarify how ifStackTable is used for this purpose (you would stack 4
ds1/e1 interfaces on 
another ds1/e1 interface.  The lower ds1/e1 interface has the high
ifSpeed, identifying it as a
ds2/e2.  dsx1ds1ChannelNumber can be used as well.)
Indicate that J2 is NOT supported.
For a DS2, dsx1LineType is set to dsx1DS2M12 and dsx1LineCoding is set
to dsx1B6ZS.
For an E2, dsx1LineType is set to dsx1E2 and dsx1LineCoding is set to
dsx1HDB3

David Fowler                                   email:
[email-masked]
Newbridge Networks Corporation                 voice: (613) 599-3600 
ext.6559
600 March Rd, Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6  fax:   (613) 599-3619