Subject: Re: PerfHist-TC-MIB

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "C. M. Heard/VVNET, Inc." <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: PerfHist-TC-MIB
...
> I don't understand this.  I always thought that if more that 2^32 - 1 of
> the type of events counted by a PerfCurrentCount object occurred within
> a 15 minute interval, then that PerfCurrentCount would be "pegged" at
> 2^32 - 1 (i.e., would not roll over).  Isn't this what a Gauge32 object
> is supposed to do?
...

Nope.  "Pegging" behaviour of Gauges is folklore, due to the
unfortunate use of the word "latch" in RFC 1155.  The current
description in RFC 1902 is explicit (note the last sentence):

|7.1.7.  Gauge32
|
|   The Gauge32 type represents a non-negative integer, which may
|   increase or decrease, but shall never exceed a maximum value.  The
|   maximum value can not be greater than 2^32-1 (4294967295 decimal).
|   The value of a Gauge has its maximum value whenever the information
|   being modeled is greater or equal to that maximum value; if the
|   information being modeled subsequently decreases below the maximum
|   value, the Gauge also decreases.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------