Subject: Security sections in new trunk-mib drafts

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:19:07 -0800

Hi - 

I think it would be helpful for the security sections in the new drafts to
be extended to identify which portions of the MIB are in particular need
of protection, e.g., read-write objects that can affect link integrity,
and which portions may be less sensitive.  The current text provides
little guidance to a security adminstrator charged with developing an
access control policy.

Consider:
        1) for which objects could disclosure would be a problem?
        2) for which objects could modification be a problem?

 -------------------------- NEW ADDRESS! -------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------