Subject: Re: [T2TRG] CoRAL Dictionaries and the side meeting yesterday

From: Klaus Hartke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:58:46 +0100

Hi Jim,

good points.

> 1. There needs to be a way to do some compression of CIRIs in the document.

Overall, there are currently two compression mechanisms in
draft-ietf-core-coral-01: The compression of CIRIs (which is done by
omitting the parts that are present in a specific other CIRI) and the
compression of whole CIRIs/values (which is done by replacing them
with a pointer into a dictionary).

I think we might see even better results if we expand the scope of
compression, for example, by introducing the equivalent of base fields
in SenML [1]. For that, I propose we create a collection of real-world
CoRAL documents that we can use to find redundancies and evaluate
ideas. Maybe we can find a simple compression mechanism that works
well for everything.

> 2. It seems that there needs to be some way of being able to announce which version of a dictionary is understood by an entity.

I'd really like to avoid that :)

Klaus

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8428#section-4.1