Subject: [tap] [Recap] What's going on?

From: Salve J Nilsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:21:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hey guys.

Just to make it easier for Lisa & Chris, plus any new people who might 
join this forum or browse the archives, could we please give a recap of 
what the current issues are?

My impression is this:

  * The group Charter has to be agreed upon. Curtis Poe has some
    preliminary notes somewhere. Charter has to include a list of features
    we would like to have as part of the TAP specification when we're done.

  * How should we represent metadata/test diagnostics within TAP? Current
    discussion is YAML vs. JSON. Issues are human readibility & established
    practice with the existing TAP user communities (YAML), vs. existing
    standard with much simpler spec and still machine readable (JSON.)

  * IETF has a meeting in November. Who wants to go and speak about TAP,
    and what opportunities for recruitment to the group can we get there?
    Lisa needs to know if there's to be a BoF slot there two months in
    advance, which means we must decide before september 10th-ish if we
    need one (and what to do there.) Andy Armstrong said he could go.
    Anyone else?

  * During the YAPC::EU BoF we saw the need for establishing a concise
    and consistant vocabulary about the domain we're working on. Any
    volunteers for writing one on the wiki?

  * List advertising. Where can we announce the existance of this
    list to get more communities in on the effort? Lisa also suggested
    publishing proposals as Internet-Drafts and asking for input here. Any
    takers?

Please reply to this message if you have anything to add/correct.

- Salve

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print#  Salve Joshua Nilsen
getc DATA}$"="'};&{'";@_=unpack("C*",unpack("u*",':4@,$'.#     <[email-masked]>
'2!--"5-(50P%$PL,!0X354UC-PP%/0\`'."\n"));eval "&{'@_'}";   __END__ is near! :)
_______________________________________________
tap mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tap

---

From: Ovid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 02:12:58 -0700 (PDT)

--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/
Tech blog            - http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/
Twitter              - http://twitter.com/OvidPerl
Official Perl 6 Wiki - http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6

--- On Sat, 23/8/08, Salve J Nilsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Salve J Nilsen <[email-masked]>
>
>

Our initial notes are at:

  * http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/TAP_at_IETF:_Notes
  (http://is.gd/1RTD)
  * http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/Initial_IETF_proposal_discussion
  (http://is.gd/1RTE)
 
>     standard with much simpler spec and still machine

I would recommend we defer this discussion until we get the charter established.  For example, Schwern stated that he just wanted core TAP in the standard and then we could come back revisit this.  Others feel we should include extended TAP.  The entire JSON/YAML/? discussion is a moot point if we don't cover extended TAP.

>     and what opportunities for recruitment to the group can

Where is it?

>     volunteers for writing one on the wiki?

This should not be too hard.  I've written a grammar at:

  * http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Harness/lib/TAP/Parser/Grammar.pm#TAP_GRAMMAR
  (http://is.gd/1RTC)

And, of course, there's plenty of information on the wiki:

  * http://testanything.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
  (http://is.gd/1RTJ)

>     publishing proposals as Internet-Drafts and asking for

Background for people who don't know what this is (I didn't.  I had to look it up :)

  http://www.ietf.org/ID.html

Internet Draft author guideline:

  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html

Cheers,
Ovid